How do you keep track of your annual schedule of events?

g_dubs

<p>Do you use a printed calendar so you can easily see it? Google/yahoo calendar? Or just a regular mobile app calendar?<br>

I'm asking cuz I'm thinking of making an app for scheduling appointments with clients which can be synced online so clients can see if you're booked or not. <br>

Thoughts?</p>

<p>Good points!<br>

@Jos - Lol, that sucks. Would an ipad app be more convenient or are you more comfortable working in front of a computer?<br>

@Michael - Yeah, palm was a pain, ugh. Do you ever sync them regularly tho? Or handwritten calendar is your go to solution?<br>

@Ian and Lindsay - How about having the ability to set them to private? Or not show at all I guess. Lol. I'm thinking something that can help you schedule with your clients, they can pick a date and then you accept or reject? </p>

<p>If you are that swamped you can't reply to every query, maybe it's worth it. Plus, sometimes it's expedient to be "booked", if you know what I mean.<br>

I do 100-125 private commissions a year and my semi-old fashioned method works just fine. I collect all inquiries for my database/mailing list as well.</p>

<p>Good points from Ian.</p>

<p>I will never use any automated systems - all of my sessions are different and may be in entirely different counties even. I have a fairly detailed pre-booking phone discussion with all prospective clients so that I can determine how much time will need to be applied to them, both during and after the photography. My service is very personalised and I would never permit anybody to put things in my diary themselves.</p>

<p>Let me join with Ian and Lindsay and recommend you not put your schedule online. You have to ask the question, "do I want to talk to a prospective client even if I am booked?" I would recommend that you do. Here is why.</p>

<p>As Ian said, not publishing your calendar offers you the opportunity to be 'busy' if you don't want the gig.</p>

<p>More importantly. Networking is a critical part of your prospecting efforts. Prospecting is the process of getting leads that you can follow up on to sell your services. If someone goes to your site and sees you are booked you will never get to talk to them. Here is why you want to talk to them.</p>

<p>You should have good relations with other wedding photographers whose work you respect as much as your own. You should be prepared to offer them work you can't take and they you. Suppose you are booked for the 15th of July and Sarah calls to book you for a wedding then. If you have a good relationship with me you can offer to refer her to me. Maybe we split the gig and you do the engagement shots and I do the ceremony. Maybe I give you a commission for the referral. Of course next time I am booked you know who I am going to call. This also offers you the opportunity to leave a wonderful impression with the bride. She gets a good photographer and gives you credit for helping her find him/her.</p>

<p>If you are really on the ball you might even be able to put in a plug for others who help you. You have much to gain by talking to any potential client and nothing to lose. </p>

<p>The key is that you only have arrangements with photographers you would allow to do your wedding. Only people you trust implicitly. </p>

<p>As Lindsay said, a client is not the one who determines how much time an event takes. You are. I like the leather bound book too.</p>

<p>Sometimes our love for automation can cause us to distance ourselves from the clients. This can be bad. If you say, "go to my website and see my work" you are sending a critic to evaluate your skills. An untrained critic. If they don't see what they want right away they will just move on. But if you are on the phone with them asking them questions about what they are looking for you can lead them through your site so that they see what they are looking for right away. This can help you make the sale much more easily. The very best way is to do it in person with them. </p>

<p>Remember that the purpose of the site is first get them to call you. After you are talking with them it is only useful to the extent you can use it to show how you might shoot their wedding. For this reason you might want to have a password protected portion of your site with several different themed/style weddings that you can lead them to. For someone who wants a very traditional and formal wedding the last thing you want them to see is your photojournalist style casual wedding in the backyard. </p>

<p>I use Google calendars to manage and track my life, using color coding, and sync'ed to my android phone. Agree that I would never open that kimono to customers; it's none of their business.</p>

<p>Awesome input!<br>

My thought on that was to "give an idea" on which days you are unblocked or available, obviously no details will be included when they see the calendar, but at least they have an idea say they have their wedding/gig/whatever on the 3rd week of may. They can easily see if the photographer may or may not be available that day (if chosen to have the calendar publicly available). The photographer can block or un block that date if chosen as well. Also, I was thinking to make this more for photography business scheduling than for personal, unless most of you guys think that they need to be meshed into one calendar so you know when you're busy or not. <br>

Ok, so no public calendars for privacy reasons! Lol. But do you think having a calendar solely for photography schedules will be something of use? I feel like for part time pro photographers you guys would need this combined with your personal calendars. <br>

Thanks guys!</p>

<p>I have a large leather bound diary on my desk. All of my appointments going at diary, photography or otherwise. If I were to have two separate systems then it would be too easy to double booked myself, and too much hassle to keep looking at two different diaries. So my photography work is entered into my desk diary in red. My wall planner however is only for photography assignments so if someone phones I can just glance up and immediately see when I'm free with nothing else cluttering up my view. Edit: to clarify, I mean that I only take X number of assignments on any given week, so I can immediately see which weeks would be no use for that client, then I can refine things by leafing through my desk diary.</p>

<p>You should just do whatever works for you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ok, so no public calendars for privacy reasons! Lol.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. No public calendars for SALES reasons. We want to talk to everyone even those people who have events when we are already booked! </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>But do you think having a calendar solely for photography schedules will be something of use?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Most of us are saying we don't need it. You are articulating a solution in search of a problem. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I feel like for part time pro photographers you guys would need this combined with your personal calendars.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A sole proprietor has only one schedule. Most if not all of us have a planner that we use for all of our scheduling. No doubt some people would want that to be electronic but not many people here seem to. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I remember back when the Palm synced with the calendar and i had a hard time feeling comfortable using it exclusively.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I still use a Palm Tungsten E2. Works perfectly and syncs with either Palm desktop software or Outlook, depending on my preference. I suppose when I finally get the iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 (whatever they call it) there will be some adjustment.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I agree with the "Dairy" Clan - and for all their reasons.</p>

<p>The Potential Customer checking the availability online and then booking that date online, is great, for getting an hotel room - but not for a tailored, one to one Service.<br>

Physically <em>writing </em>appointments, (with pen), appears be linked with a better recall process.<br>

I also take written diary notes, when I am face to face or in a telephone conversation, with a Prospect.<br>

So I also use a diary. A second tier (a Yearly wall planner) I’ve used for the past several years – it just has booking numbers or key name and a telephone number in the date space. I use my diary for social engagements too.</p>

<p><br />WW</p>

<p>I have a shelf in front of my desk, it has just three things on it. It has a small pile of individual folders, one for each current client. Each folder will contain a sheet of paper with contact information and details of the shoot, a copy of the booking form and a copy of subsequent order forms and receipts. Sitting on top of these folders is a very important piece of paper - my Client Schedule. This takes the form of a grid, along the top of the grid there are spaces for the name of the client. Down the left-hand side is a list of each task which typically equates to a project - information sent/reservation fee requested/reservation fee received/date of shoot/processing complete/date of viewing etc etc. In other words I can glance at this Schedule and see exactly how far along every project is and if I need to chase anything. When the client gets in touch and we determine a suitable date, that date is marked with a red dot on the laminated wall planner. Once their reservation fee has cleared, the red dot is replaced with a green one. Then there is the most important item of all, called The Book - this is a large notebook and every time I take or make a client related call I put the details of that call into the book, then if I need to I can look back and see exactly what was discussed and when, and if I need to follow anything up. In other words when I come into my office each morning I only need to glance at the Client Schedule, my desk diary, and The Book. In less than a minute I will know exactly the status of my business - without having to turn on a computer or synchronise an electronic diary. And if I've left the client's folder in the car it's not a problem because all of their details will be somewhere in The Book.</p>

<p>. . . very similar, every one of my Prospects / Clients gets a unique ID - and folder and their unique ID is on all correspondence, invoicing, image files AND my in Diary.<br>

Also by my filing system I can instantly tell if they are "Prospects" or "Clients" or "Returned Clients" and also if they were initially "Referred by a Client”. I don't do Weddings now, but my system still works the same for any professional engagement.<br>

I like the red/green dots for easy identification of “Prospect” or “Client” status on the wall planner – I’ll use it: and probably use it more universally. Thanks for that idea, Lindsay.<br>

WW</p>

<p>I'm not sure I completely agree with the 'secret schedule', especially as usually, the first question in an email is "are you available to shoot such and such date?"</p>

<p>I don't feel comfortable lying to a potential client. I <em>do</em> however feel comfortable with meeting with a potential client<em> before</em> agreeing to shoot their wedding. If something raises a red flag, I have no qualms about being straight forward with them, and telling them that I don't feel comfortable taking them on as a client. I have a list of other local photogs to refer them too, but honesty is (I have found) the best policy. I certainly have offended a few potential clients over the years, but when the chemistry is wrong, I have found that it impacts my ability to do my best work. They are better served by a photog who can/wants to deal with them. </p>

<p>That said, I do not publish my schedule online. I would rather get an email that I have to say no to than nothing at all.</p>

<p>But of course, that's just me!</p>

<p>@William , I'm sorry kinda confused, were you using a software for that filing system you're doing? The one with a "unique client id"?<br>

@marcus , Thanks for the input, and I agree, you're free to choose who to accept and not to accept. That's probably why I thought of a function to approve/reject the schedule request (IF the calendar was public). <br>

Interesting points guys, thanks!</p>

<p><blockquote>"were you using a software for that filing system you're doing? The one with a "unique client id"?"</blockquote></p>

<p>No. The only <strong><em>soft</em></strong>ware issuing the file number & unique client id, is my brain.</p>

<p>It's a unique reference which I give and it comprises the date of job and Prospects'/Clients' Initials.<br>

The inquiry and the subsequent job I just did for you is: <strong>2013.04.17.gd</strong><br>

The first day of shooting an Event next week, which I am covering: <strong>2013.04.26.SAL.CEE</strong></p>

<p>The word "folder" means both the Digital File Folders and all any hard copies of documents, in (manila) Folders also.</p>

<p>Does that make sense?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That's probably why I thought of a function to approve/reject the schedule request (IF the calendar was public).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You think that a simple 'reject' button is a good idea? </p>

<p>So let me get this straight. We have a website that is supposed to sell people on booking a wedding without any personal contact until after the wedding is booked? That is not a real-world scenario. It just doesn't happen that way. Brides do not surf the web and hire their photographer without personal contact. </p>

<p>But for a moment suppose one did. She looks at the site, makes the decision, looks at an empty date and plugs in her info. And the photographer decides he doesn't want this one so he hits the 'reject' button? Good Lord. Is this the "anything to keep from talking to a client" game?</p>

<p>@g dubs. We can all see that you are intent in building this thing. You have convinced yourself that there is a demand for it. Go ahead. Just remember that photography is a sales business. All that really matters is what the customer thinks about it. If you are going to design sales tools (and scheduling is just a step of the sale that is a part of closing) then you need to understand the sales process. <br>

Not one single poster here has told you that they do automated scheduling or even want to. I believe you are trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. There is no market for this among photographers it would appear. (Or at least no significant one.) There are plenty of automated scheduling programs that one can buy should one want them. Calendar programs are free. There is one on my Iphone. <br>

You may want to consider that the experienced photographers with whom you are talking here would discourage any new photographer from designing any part of his/her site that distanced them from the customer or that turned down a customer cold. Now if you want to design something for photographers why not ask them what they would like? I can think of several stand-alone web enhancements that would facilitate the sale not discourage it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>g dubs - I'll not keep reiterating what I, William W, Rick M and others have already said (in triplicate). If you're intent on this automated system then just go and do it - see how you get along. I personally can't think of any photographers who use this method (though a few years ago I did spot one who displayed his calendar showing which days were taken, but there was no option for the client to block out one of the free days - this of course obviates the "I am busy on that day" safety net, and a few months later he very sensibly took down his calendar). A step up from this would be to create an automated "enquiry form" where the client fills in a few details about their requirements, including the date and time, which you can send a personal response to. But once again, this gives you none of the vital information you need with which to determine whether you can realistically serve that customer or not.</p>

<p>I would wager those who do operate automated bookings are probably of the very low end churn and burn variety. The photographers who shoot 5 weddings per day at Gretna Green spring to mind, or the cheap wedding packages on some cruise ships (I've also seen a high volume low end portrait studio offer automated online bookings). But beyond that sort of scenario I can't imagine it working, it's also a potentially hazardous one if there are misunderstandings, misinterpretations, or surprises along the way. But it is sure to alienate many potential prospects, particularly if you hope to attract quality leads. I'm struggling to comprehend how you cannot see the folly of your proposed "reject" option - not the most attractive way of interacting with potential customers.</p>