Kalimar Lens Manual Focus?

dave_f2

<p>I came across a Kalimar 60-300mm f4-5.6 zoom lens with Nikon mount. This lens does not seem to be able to manual focus when engaged on a Nikon DSLR body. There doesnt seem to be A-M focus switch. Is there any way to manually focus on Nikon DLSRs?</p>

<p>"I've never met a lens without a manual/autofocus control" - Where've you been hiding yourself Andrew? None of Nikon's first generation of AF lenses had an MF/AF switch, nor did Sigma's or Tokina's early lenses in Nikon AF fit. Hence the reason for the AF/MF switch on the camera body. IIRC, I don't think any of Nikon's "screwdriver" only coupled lenses were fitted with a switch until the AF-D series was introduced.</p>

<p>I wonder who made those Kalimar lenses? They were around for a while at the very low end of the market and then suddenly vanished.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I've never met a lens without a manual/autofocus control" - Where've you been hiding yourself Andrew?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed. None of the original AF series, and most of the past and current AF-D lenses have no A-M focus switch. :-)</p>

<p>You need to get out more Andrew. There are 2.1 *MILLION* (and counting) AF 50/1.8 and AF 50/1.8D lenses waiting to meet you, just to name one. And nary an A-M switch to be found on any of them. ;-) :-D</p>

<p>Wait, the <i>AF-D 50 f/1.8</i> doesn't have one? Well, that say a lot about how much I use mine. :-) (It also explains why I'm not a huge fan of the recessed front element (which as far as I know is only there so the manual focus ring is large enough to grip easily).<br />

<br />

Actually, now I look for it, you're right. (Though the M/A-M switch on the AF-S is so close to the camera's AF control switch that I can't imagine it's all that useful.) Well, having embarrassed myself hopelessly, I'll go and stick my head in a bucket.<br />

<br />

At the risk of redeeming a little street cred, the (pre-"D") 80-200 f/2.8 AF has a way of switching between autofocus and manual (by rotating a bit of the lens near the aperture ring, much like the one-ring mark-2 AF-D version), though you could call it "not a switch" on a technicality. I'd say I only know that because I've got one (which is ill and barely used), though owning the lens I'm talking about didn't do me much good with the 50mm...</p>