worce, and when i talk with Minolta in Sweden they tould me that I

could just conect the scanner dorect to USB or Firewire that is

mounted direct on the motherboard, so i was no use to by a firewire

card. Now have I bought a strong computor. A Philips 3,05 Ghz

withfour UYSB on the motherboartd, but it seams that all give the

lines. What to do, is is only to bye an other scanner of anouter

brand, or do any of you have any sudgestion? The PC have 750 MB

primary memory, 12o GB HD and a strong grafical card, so I can not

see that it will be the limitations of the PC.

Regards Hans Andersson<div>004G7U-10706884.thumb.jpg.c17d41fbc44887bc4fb981193a92085b.jpg</div>

Hans, are you using the IR Cleaning function of Vuescan when you're scanning? Have you tried it without IR cleaning? I get banding with Vuescan when using the IR function on my Scan Elite II. My scans don't have the banding when I use Digital ICE with the Minolta SW but the Minolta SW clips the images so much it's useless. So I use Vuescan without any IR cleaning and do the touchup in Photoshop. Annoying and time consuming ...

This looks like incredibly bad calibration (check your manual - I think there is some odd keypress or menu function to calibrate the Minolta), system activity during the scan, or bad electrical interference - check all your cabling locations and connections. Try making sure that no other software is running while you scan, disable any memory resident programs and/or your internet connection.

Ask Minolta support how to reset the scanner. With Scan Dual 2 the procedure is to start Minolta utility and press Ctrl-Shift-i. Then you exit the Minolta utility, run Vuescan, and there is no more banding. I do it each time I switch the scanner on.

By the way, I consider switching to Scan Elite 2 for the same reason as you did.

Hope this helps,

Oleg.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to reiterate Roy's comment above, Ed seems to have fixed this problem with his latest versions of VueScan. (I experienced the exact same "banding" when using IR cleaning on my CanoScanFS4000.)

For those who use VueScan, I would highly recommend visiting his site fairly frequently and downloading the latest version of the product. He continually makes significant improvements that address specific software issues and enhance general scan quality.

On a separate note, I also want to second the suggestion above to pay attention to the physical location of your scanner. I previously experienced a different, unrelated banding problem which persisted through several new units, countless software re-installations and hours on the phone with tech support. In the end, all it took to fix the problem was to move the scanner about two feet further away from the cordless phone base it had been stationed next to. Even if you�re not aware of any specific problems, it might be worth trying some different locations . . . there could be some low-level interference from other equipment that causes subtle degradations to your image quality.

• 2 months later...

This problem is due to dust on the scanner mirror. You can either clean it by yourself or give it to Minolta service.

I cleaned it a couple of times. It's very easy to do if you believe in your hands. You have to open the scanner and find a small mirror. It's located at the bottom of black box you'll se there.

Best regards,

George