300 f4 af-s issues

evannorth

<p>my nikon 300 f4 af-s has difficulty focusing at distances over 40 meters and will not focus at infinity, even with manual focus. there is a very slight rattle when tilted backwards and forwards but not when rolling the lens. focus issues are with and without the tc 14ii.<br>

the focus limiter did not solve anything. anyone had the same problem?</p>

<p>I've had focus issues, but have always been able to focus manually. What happened, if anything, between the time that it was working and now? Also, if possible, try the lens on another camera body (even if you have to go to a camera store to do so). Strange as it might sound, sometimes it is the camera/lens combo that is the problem. </p>

<p>This is not normal behavior, and the lens is probably due for attention from Mr. Goodwrench. I take mine to Authorized Nikon Service in Morton Grove, Illinois. They do good work, quickly and at reasonable cost.</p>

<p>AFS lenses are not cheap to repair, but they're not cheap to begin with either. ANS will give you an estimate, but don't be shocked if it is $500 to replace the (plastic) focusing cam.</p>

<p>This is not normal behavior, and the lens is probably due for attention from Mr. Goodwrench. I take mine to Authorized Nikon Service in Morton Grove, Illinois. They do good work, quickly and at reasonable cost.</p>

<p>AFS lenses are not cheap to repair, but they're not cheap to begin with either. ANS will give you an estimate, but don't be shocked if it is $500 to replace the (plastic) focusing cam.</p>

<p>the previous owner had it serviced by nikon uk.<br>

on the first try out it focused ok at short/medium distance, then made a loudish brittle click when locking focus.<br>

since then it needs help to focus at medium/long distance. will not focus even manually at infinity.<br>

sometimes the af motor will not move at all at medium distance until i point the lens at something closer.<br>

it is making a rattling noise when moved or carried, at first i thought it was the lens hood. apparently not!<br>

it has not been bumped or knocked while in my possession.</p>

<p>thats what i was hoping. i contacted the previous owner who then spoke to nikon uk. the first thing they asked was if it had been dropped or knocked. <br>

looks like they may use this as a get out clause. i have heard of them saying this to charge for certain camera issues in the past.<br>

it will be the last used item i will purchase if i end up having to pay!</p>