New Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM IS (2013) for Nikon-mount:

studio460

<p>I spoke about buying the previous version here:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm seriously considering the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS for my next lens purchase. It's got both speed and decent reach. Plus, the convenience of a zoom. I rarely use either my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I (too short), or my 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR (too slow). I wish I had bought neither, and just bought the Sigma initially. At a sort-of-affordable, $3,199 selling price, it's actually cheaper than buying both a brand-new 70-200mm VR, and an 80-400mm VR (although, both of mine were purchased as refurbs for considerably less).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Being especially price-competitive with Nikon's AF-S 300mm f/2.8G ED VRII offering ($5,799), the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 has always been an attractive alternative. Now, at least until the old new-stock depletes, there are two versions to choose from:<br /> <br /> <em><strong>Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM (2011-2012) for Nikon-mount: $2,799</strong></em><br /> • Previously selling for $3,199 last year, the B+H price has now dropped $400 to only $2,799<br /> <br /><em><strong>Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM IS (2013) for Nikon-mount: $3,599</strong></em><br />• First lens in Sigma's new "Sports" series (although it has the same cosmetic design and ergonomic improvements as Sigma's new "Art" series lens, the 35mm f/1.4).<br />• Sigma USB-dock compatible for user-adjustable in-lens micro-adjustments, AF-speed, etc.<br /> • An $800 mark-up from the previous version's recently discounted selling price.</p>

<p>Ralph<br>

I have the original non OS version and if the new ones are as good as mine then to me it is a no brainer. I am extremely happy with the IQ and build of my lens. It has held up to 4 years of being used in very demanding conditions From shooting all day in freezing conditions to being out all day in 100 f temps. It did better then I did in the freezing weather.<br>

I manly shoot it at f/3.2 or 3.5 depending on how I feel at the time and I have zero complaints.</p>

<p>I also have the new 35mm f/1.4 Sigma build quality is impeccable and the image quality is everything you could ask for in a super speed lens.</p>

<p>Sigma has really stepped up there game with this lens as well as the whole new series of lenses.</p>

<p>To summarize, here are the 300mm f/2.8 VR/OS-stabilized telephoto top-contenders for 2013:</p>

<p>Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM (2011-2012) for Nikon-mount = $2,799<br /> Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM IS (2013) for Nikon-mount = $3,599 ($800 mark-up from previous version)<br /> AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VRII = $5,799 ($2,200 over new Sigma; $3,000 over previous Sigma)</p>

<p>Since we've also been discussing the new Nikkor 80-400 update, here are those numbers as well:</p>

<p>AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR = $1,348 ($1,698 less $350 instant rebate)<br /> AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II = $2,697 ($1,349 mark-up from previous version)</p>

<p>Michael said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have the original non OS version and if the new ones are as good as mine then to me it is a no brainer . . . Sigma has really stepped up there game with this lens as well as the whole new series of lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I believe Sigma has really raised the bar with its recent product introductions. I just bought the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro OS for use as a portrait lens, and I couldn't be happier with its performance. With Sigma's new "Sports" and "Art" series lenses, now capable of USB-firmware "tuning," I think they've leap-frogged both Nikon and Canon with such a bold, product-line integrated technical innovation. I think soon, more will think differently of Sigma as a more premium brand, rather than being perceived as just another third-party also-ran, previously thought to be second in quality and performance to the camera manufacturer-branded optics.</p>

<p>I just bought the non USB OS version from Roberts Camera in Illinois for $2500 (will arrive Friday). I also ordered a Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x teleconverter to get the 420mm and f/4 out of it, and with my D300s, that will give me a lens kit of 180mm f/2.8 to 630mm f/4, which ads that many more lenses that it will substitute for. Next, please don't flame me, but I also ordered a Zeikos 105mm all glass multi-coated polarizing filter for $30, I hope it's decent at such a cheap price, there are a couple of good reviews, I had already pushed the bank account to the edge for the lens and teleconverter.</p>

<p>Anyone want to buy a practically new Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM OS (and a Sigma non OS 50-150mm f/2.8 Dx HSM.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Anyone want to buy a practically new Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM OS (and a Sigma non OS 50-150mm f/2.8 Dx HSM.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, no. But, it looks like you're attempting virtually the same trade-up I'm thinking of doing. I would trade both my Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G VR I and Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR for a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS in a heartbeat!<br /> <br /> I've never sold anything on Ebay. Maybe I should put them up for sale to finance the old OS version of the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8. Say, $1,300 for the 70-200mm, and $1,000 for the 80-400mm--that would get me $2,300 (less Ebay fees, whatever those are). Another $400, and I'd be able to make a relatively painless upgrade to the old Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS version.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I may just take the minimum and sell them to Samys or Bel Air here in Los Angeles, maybe I'll get $700 or hopefully better.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I took a lens in to Samy's once, and they offered me less than half its actual market value. Adorama's offer was much higher--I would fill out their online form and give it a shot.</p>

<p>Got the 120-300 yesterday and wow, what a lens. Did a quick test from my balcony, very fast focus. Tried the polarizer on the sky at different rotations but none came out all that good. Have to work on that more. Also got the 1.4x TC but have not tried it yet.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I finally got to shooting samples with my new Sigma 120-300. I wanted to shoot something to give a good example so I did a little research and bought a planter and flowers to attract hummingbirds and hung it on my balcony, but so far, no birds. So here are a few shots of the flowers for now. First shot is at 120mm f/2.8, hand held, shutter 1/4000, second shot is at 300mm. I'm using a D300s, ISO 200, auto focus, JPG fine (I know, I should have done RAW, next time). No corrections of any kind.</p><div>00bVy7-529491584.jpg.d5904966dbadf79d8428c482385c5e2b.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks Michael. I still have a USB version on order. B&H shows a release date of April 30th for the Nikon version. I can't wait! Wood ducks are out in local ponds now. <br>

I have a weekend booked to shoot songbirds on May 4/5 - hopefully the lens is in by then...</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hmmm....I was curious about the difference between the 120-300's new A version and old version, online review says they are basically the same lens minus a new cosmetics plus USB dock compatibility, for $800. I can get the old version used for about $2000, certainly an interesting option.</p>