Phoenix to Las Vegas

AlanKlein

I'm vacationing for 8 days. We're flying into Phoenix, Arizona where we'll rent a car and drive to Las Vegas where we'll fly home. This is not being done only to shoot landscape pictures as I will have my wife with me and don't want her to divorce me when we get to Las Vegas, if you know what I mean. However, we both want to stop at the usual places like the Red Rocks, Grand Canyon, others? I'm renting a car for the 8 days picking it up in Phoenix and dropping it of in Las Vegas.

Which scenic stops would you suggest? How much time at each stop? Do you think there's enough time in the 8 days. Thanks. Alan

<p>That's only 287 miles, Alan so in theory you could do the drive in half a day. However, the stops along the way could take weeks, so you'll need to be judicious. A couple of questions - when are you going? There's a bunch of snow in that country this year, so some places will be closed, or at least difficult to get to. As well, do you and your wife want some luxury in the trip? That would rule out some places, especially north of the Grand Canyon.</p>

<p>I would definitely include the south rim of the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff and Lake Havasu, as places where you could enjoy some civilization and the landscape as well. If you are going to go around to the north side of the canyon the opportunities definitely open up, but with less "civilization" involved.</p>

<p>David: Well I should of said that we would be going over the Easter holidays like March 23 - April1 or so. WE would like to hit the places a little north in Utah like Zion, ( others?) so the mileage would be extended. We don't like to rough it. <br>

Does this help in your suggestions?</p>

<p>If you want to do sight seeing I would recommend that you take I17 North with a stop in Sedona (minimum one night, better two) lots to see and do in Sedona, then you should stop at the Grand Canyon South Rim (spend one night) and then off to Las Vegas. In Vegas there's tons to do, esp. if your wife is NOT into landscapes, etc. If you want to get out of town go to Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire. There are no accommodations in Valley of Fire - so it is an in-and-out trip but easily doable in one day.</p>

<p>If you go the usual route from Phx to Vegas, spending a night in Sedona and a couple nights in Williams or Tusayan to explore the Grand Canyon could be fun. But traveling some alternate routes may show you a little more of the SW. You could take AZ 93 out of PHX towards Vegas and go through Laughlin. Beautiful Joshua Tree forest in AZ along that route and a very scenic drive. Also going N from Flagstaff on 89 (Sunset Crater and Wupatki) and then winding west towards Vegas would add another night or two if you're stopping along the way. Or like CS's suggestion to go a little further east than north thru the rez. Canyon de Chelly is one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. You could spend a few nights on that route and then get back on 40 to go to Vegas for a few nights. A jazillion options. You can't go wrong. You may want to look at Laurent Martres book on Photographing the Southwest. It may give you some ideas about places to check out.</p>

<p>There's lots of unanswered questions here. Do you already have reservations for Las Vegas, Grand Canyon? Are you planning on spending several days in Las Vegas, is that the point of the trip? Is that what your wife wants?<br /><br />If I was flying into Phoenix, and was leaving from Las Vegas eight days later, I would do the loop from the south rim of the Grand Canyon east through Flagstaff then north on 89 up into the southern Utah heading up towards Kanab, then West on 9 through to St. George and on to Las Vegas. Just looking at a map of that route will give you many places to stop and get photographs. Much of it you will simply be driving through, Red Rocks abound! Stops could include: Wupatki and Sunset Crater NP, Lake Powell/Page, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Zion NP, Snow Canyon SP, Valley of the Fire. <br>

This is a much longer route, but if you're wish is to see more places, rather than spending extra time at particular places, this would be a great route. It will never be dull!<br>

<br /><br /></p><div>00bIVy-517043584.jpg.a770abf36383dc315e0dde6802327344.jpg</div>

<p>There's lots of unanswered questions here. Do you already have reservations for Las Vegas, Grand Canyon? Are you planning on spending several days in Las Vegas, is that the point of the trip? Is that what your wife wants?<br /><br />If I was flying into Phoenix, and was leaving from Las Vegas eight days later, I would do the loop from the south rim of the Grand Canyon east through Flagstaff then north on 89 up into the southern Utah heading up towards Kanab, then West on 9 through to St. George and on to Las Vegas. Just looking at a map of that route will give you many places to stop and get photographs. Much of it you will simply be driving through, Red Rocks abound! Stops could include: Wupatki and Sunset Crater NP, Lake Powell/Page, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Zion NP, Snow Canyon SP, Valley of the Fire. <br>

This is a much longer route, but if you're wish is to see more places, rather than spending extra time at particular places, this would be a great route. It will never be dull!<br>

<br /><br /></p>

<p>I think David Daniel has made some good suggestions now that I look at it. I initially jumped on the western route around the Grand Canyon, but the eastern side has some great potential if you want to be close to a decent hotel, but still out there in the red rocks. There are some decent hotels in places like Bloomington Hills and Page, so that part would work. The route around the east side of the canyon has lots of scenery, plus Wupatki as a great stop. It will be cool up around that side in March - 40's/50/s during the day are common so dress accordingly. On the other hand, we were in that area in early April a couple of years ago and wore shorts most of the time. Worth checking out Zion park if you go around that way, as part of the package.</p>

<p>I would definitely go even if there's snow - some of the most spectacular days for photography are right after a snowfall in that area.</p>

<p>There's not much civilization between Flagstaff and Zion, except for Page, AZ which is on Lake Powell so worth a stop. But the scenery is spectacular, so I would personally spend some time in and around Page, and then plan to go to Zion from there. I'll make another pitch for Sedona - if you haven't been there it has a lot offer in terms of hiking, red rocks and general atmosphere and scenery.</p>

<p>So, if it were me, I'd do Sedona/South Rim/Page/Zion, then make sure my wife had a couple of days in Las Vegas to indulge.</p>

<p>I can recall being in this part of the world in April and having a trip affected by heavy snow and icy roads, obviously mostly in the high areas such as grand Canyon and Bryce, which understandably will both be on your shortlist. Now i don't know how the prospect of snow affects you- some people would consider it an enhancement, others something a bit scary. If it were me, I'd rent a 4wd vehicle with decent tires, and i'd book hotels along two itineraries - a no/manageable snow route and a heavier snow route, making the choice between them at the last minute. </p>

<p>For me the unrestricted route would probably include, if you haven't been to this area before. </p>

<ul>

<li>2 nights on or close to south rim Grand Canyon, ideally close enough to walk along the rim from the hotel</li>

<li>1 night Page hopefully organising a visit to one or the other Antelope Canyon and a visit to Horseshoe Bend- which you'll pass en route.</li>

<li>2 nights Bryce to allow for early light at several viewpoints and a walk below the rim</li>

<li>2 nights Zion Canyon where you should just about beat the requirement to use a shuttle bus in the Valley itself </li>

<li>Depending on your flight timings a night in Las Vegas with a walk along the strip and a close look at a couple of the more spectacular hotels. Maybe the Neon Boneyard if you like that sort of thing (I do) or if the city repels you then a night near the Valley of Fire might appeal though the accommodation might fall short of that available in the rest of the stops.</li>

</ul>

<p>If it were seriously snowy I'd suggest leaving out Bryce-which is rather high and can be very cold and maybe putting in a couple of days in Death Valley at the end- its not so far from Las Vegas. Alternatively slide in a day or two in the northern part of the Petrified Forest NP which I think photographs very nicely. <br>

Lots of people suggest Sedona. I've stayed there but with the exception of the rather busy Red Rock State Park ( I spent quite a lot of time changing position to avoid people photographing and sightseeing) I find those red rocks a bit unstructured and hard to get good pictures by comparison to the other main areas in Utah/Arizona. I think you can do better. Sedona itself is a new-agey shopping town. Its Ok. </p>

<p>You will want to to be at least wary of the weather. We tried a trip to the Grand Canyon the first week of April one year and had serious road closing snow for several days in the Flagstaff area and had to rearrange lodging, train reservations from Williams to the Canyon, etc. We had clear, dry weather from Las Vegas to Flagstaff and woke to the dead silence of almost two feet of new snow. The storm settled in over northern Arizona and kept coming down intermittently for a couple of days. Other family trips through the area that time of year have had freezing temsp or rain or beautiful crisp weather. </p>

<p>If you can get one, check the Auto Club for the Indian Country Map. It's a handy guide to much of the area you are interested in.</p>

<p>You will want to to be at least wary of the weather. We tried a trip to the Grand Canyon the first week of April one year and had serious road closing snow for several days in the Flagstaff area and had to rearrange lodging, train reservations from Williams to the Canyon, etc. We had clear, dry weather from Las Vegas to Flagstaff and woke to the dead silence of almost two feet of new snow. The storm settled in over northern Arizona and kept coming down intermittently for a couple of days. Other family trips through the area that time of year have had freezing temsp or rain or beautiful crisp weather. </p>

<p>If you can get one, check the Auto Club for the Indian Country Map. It's a handy guide to much of the area you are interested in.</p>