herr fikus won't fit

<p>I acquired a black 1947 useable 9cm f4 elmar. Also managed to get a fikus type hood for it, but this will not fit. the lens rim consists of a hard brass ring which seems slightly to big. The 5cm elmar hood which is a fraction wider than the fikus doesn't make it either. Not keen on forcing things or using lubricants. Lens rim does not look damaged or bent in any way. Back to my cardboard homemade hood?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For example, the outside of the front of my 90/4 Elmar is 36.0mm, measured to the nearest tenth of a millimeter with a vernier caliper. <br>

Even with the clamp screw loose, the FIKUS is a bit of a tight fit. It may be necessary to remove the spring ring (two small screws), and bend it out a little larger, and reassemble. But those screws may blow out when you try and remove them.</p>

<p>I would say yes, back to the cardboard hood, and you should be glad of it. I've had a few FIKUS hoods, and hated them each and every one. While I appreciate the idea behind it, they're too heavy, too long, and tend to fall off the camera unless you really cinch them down. Much better to go for one of those older push-on, series adapters that will let you use drop in filters and a nice, LIGHT, small hood. Your lens will do fine w/ that.</p>

<p>ROBERT: Yes you're right...I never noticed, just took it for granted that with a slip on as 'prescribed' leica hood there wouldn't be a thread...what does your hood look like? Straight cylinder seems to be the most effective against flare. Yours is probably not coated? Mine has early coating (1947) most of which I think has vanished in the past 65 odd years; purple tint.</p>

<p>My 1951 Elmar 90 bought last year has the 34mm filter thread. I had a Tiffen F34 to series 5 adapter in my "Box-of-Photo-Junk-I-Might-Need-Some-Day" and can use a neat little series 5 hood and drop in filters.</p>

<p>Did you also know the Elmar 90 lens head will screw into a series 5 thread? Not perfectly but it does seat square. I've adapted mine to fit the front of a little Kopel bellows for an Olympus Pen F, from infinity to 1:1, not very bright but useable. </p>

<p>Hello Jean-Marie,<br>

It's been a while since I examined this thread, but the hood I got is a straight cylinder. It is very slim, in keeping with the slim nature of the lens. I put an inexpensive plastic 34mm lens cap (pinch release style) on the end of the hood. The actual hood itself is made in Japan.</p>

<p>I think the name of the seller in the UK was "JacktheHat". I have no affiliation with them, aside from having been a customer. I see that they are still selling the same hood on ebay.</p>