Covering a wedding in Jamaica...work permit needed if I'm only being comped for travel charges/equipment in customs?

mary_timbers

<p>I'm photographing a friend's wedding in Jamaica and am a little worried about being stopped at customs because I don't have a work permit. I was told I don't need one from numerous photographers local to me since I'm not getting paid for the photography coverage (the bride and groom are paying for my entire stay as compensation). I thought I would post this question here since I'm sure there are experienced destination wedding photographers who can ease my nerves for this upcoming wedding (this will be my first international destination wedding). I tried to contact the Jamaican government, sending an email to three different contacts (2 of which were not deliverable even though they were government officials') but was given no response. I'm worried really about two things:</p>

<p>1. Will i be stopped at customs because I don't have a permit? Even if I'm not being paid<br>

2. I will be bringing a whole bag of camera bodies/lenses/flashes (obviously pro gear, not the typical traveler fare), will I have trouble bringing it in or do I need to list it as tools of trade?</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your help!</p>

<p>Assume you are a resident and citizen of the USA?<br>

It appears pretty clear cut - here is the link to the (USA) Jamaican Embassy's website detailing the exact information you require:<br>

<a href="http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/VISbusinessstudyrecreation.htm">http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/VISbusinessstudyrecreation.htm</a></p>

<p>If you are having difficulties contacting the Jamaican Government, I’d suggest telephoning the Embassy if you require further clarification. </p>

<p>In any case, I would travel light: I like to take my camera gear always as “Carry-On” and many airlines have both a weight as well as a size limit: so I very rarely would carry all that gear which is pictured in my mind after what you have written.<br>

On an International Flight - a couple of Hot Shoe Flash Heads; Two Camera Bodies and One Zoom and Two Prime Lenses just makes the weight limit in my bag: which actually is something very akin to what I would take as a gung-ho tourist photographer, anyway. </p>

<p>WW</p>

Regardless of where you are, you should contact the Embassy of Jamaica's consular affairs department or the nearest

Jamaican consulate if there is one in your area. If you are in a British Commonwealth country, the Embassy will be called

the High Commission of Jamaica.

Most embassies have a Website in the country where they are located that have information on this sort if thing.

I suspect many photographers in your situation enter the country by declaring that they are tourists or temporary visitors

attending a friend's wedding.

<p>Tons of amateurs carry massive amounts of gear. I have shot weddings where the guests have more stuff than I do. I constantly travel to various countries for shooting assignments but never declare anything to immigration. Why would I? Nothing good can come of it. Just go through and don't say anything.<br>

Take the bare minimum. I know a big wedding studio owner who has had so many problems sending shooters to the Caribbean that he now literally sends them with one body and a 24-70. The problem isn't immigration/work issues, it's that they will assess duties on the entire package, accusing you of bringing in equipment to sell.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> Just go through and don't say anything.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I agree. Customs forms for equipment are a major waste of time. Nobody pays attention. If you are really worried, take copies of the sales receipts.<br>

<br>

The only time I ever had anything confiscated, or even questioned, by customs, was returning from Jamaica. I said I had fruit with me. I didn't think enough at the time (it was my honeymoon) to realize that they would ask a question about something I couldn't do, I figured they would just tell me. Too bad, it was some fruit I picked in the jungle that was not available in the US. (I didn't say anything about the truffles I brought back from North Africa and they got in just fine.)</p>

<p>I agree with the others - I've traveled with gear numerous times and never have been asked upon re-entry where I purchased it. Don't give them a reason to look twice, I always say. </p>

<p>As for what you need to work / cover the wedding - there are two ways to go. </p>

<p>1) Apply for visa - tell them you're going as a guest to a wedding. <br>

2) Apply for visa and work permit - tell them you're shooting a wedding. Personally I'd go for option 1, since your "pay" is your hotel / airfare. </p>

<p>As for the "pro" gear... You'd be surprised what a lot of "tourists" bring with them on vacation. I've seen everything from D4's to Mark III's and L glass to Nikon F2.8 Zooms. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I am not a lawyer or a customs expert and I have never traveled to Jamaica. And I don't know if you shoot weddings professionally. But in the context of your original message -- you are going to take pictures at a friend's wedding and are not being paid -- you are not going to Jamaica to work. You are simply going to a friend's wedding. If you take pictures at a friend's wedding that's really nobody's business. IMHO, picking up your travel expenses doesn't count in my book as being paid because if you were doing this for a client you would expect them to pay you AND pick up your travel expenses.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>Hey Chris! I actually have gone twice now since the original thread was posted and didn't have any trouble getting to the destination weddings each time. I didn't need a permit and there were no problems with my bags at customs (I had a purse and my think tank rolling camera bag as my carry-on bag, to travel light and my second shooter did the same. I also checked a clothing bag with extra things I couldn't carry on, but that weren't so important if the luggage was lost.) The biggest thing I would recommend doing is asking your clients to check with the resort on their policies with outside wedding photographers. The resort I went to had the couples pay a nominal fee, but some resorts don't allow for any outside photography. Good luck! </p>

<p>Thanks for the response Mary!<br>

Did you talk to someone about needing a permit, or did you just go way and not bring the subject up? I'm just curious, I've tried calling several consulate offices and finally got someone at the Boston office to say that as long as I don't set off a flag that I'm trying to set up a photography business in Jamaica, that I'd be fine. He didn't sound 100% positive, but it's the only actual person that's responded to my question.<br>

The resort is the only one so far to affirm that there will be no issue with me taking the photos. Their requirement is any outside vendor has to stay at least one night (which I am).<br>

If I may ask...what did you take gear wise? I have a pelican case and an Ape Case backpack which both would be more than enough room to take what I'm planning to take, and I think either meets the carry on requirements. But I've considered getting a messenger style photo bag to be a little more discreet.<br>

Thanks again for the response!</p>

<p>No problem, glad I can help! Wish I could tell you for sure the laws for the permit, but I had tried calling, emailing and looking everywhere for my first wedding down there and I couldn't get a straight answer! The only thing I heard from everywhere is that you won't get any attention if you just have a camera, a few flashes, and lenses, since it's the same as what a camera hobbyist would bring on vacation. I used two of these bags (my second shooter had the second bag) - http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-international-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx It has the added security locks and a thick wire with a lock for safe keeping and is small enough to fit any airline requirement for carry on. In each bag, we had memory cards, batteries, chargers, 2 flashes each(with the little flash stands, to do off camera flash hands-free if we needed it), 2-3 lenses, and one camera body. I was also able to squeeze in my mamiya 645 and rolls of film, plus a point and shoot underwater camera. I also have one of those tiny netbooks that I can hook up a card reader and an external hard drive for on-location back up. For my checked bag, I packed a tripod for my long exposures, an extra set of batteries and memory cards, and the pellets for the underwater camera casing (for some reason, all the pellets I packed on my carry-on bag were unusable, so I'd recommend if you are bringing any, to pack some on your carry on and some in your checked bag to make sure you have some usable ones when you land). I hope that helps!!</p>