Rebel Ti - will it take a better photo than the Rebel 2000?

suzanne_s

Hi All....more questions from The Absolute Beginner!<G>

In studying the differences between the Rebel 2000 and the new Rebel

Ti, I see some subtle changes...I've read the "specs" of both models,

but as "The Absolute Begginer"(photographic knowledge Zero!)<G>

cannot determine if any of the Ti's improvements will give me a

better photo.......I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ for the new Ti

model, if in the end it will produce better results...

Thanks again!!

All in all, and over the peiod of several years that you will have this body, you will not notice any difference between the two that matters. They will not produce any difference in your final image. Your eye and brain have more influence that most anything. Get a good lens, like the 50/1.8 or the 35/2, and go out and shoot.

When it comes to such a close comparison I believe there is no big difference. You are going to use it for general enough photography that specific features probably won't matter. Remember it's the photographer that makes the picture on the most part and not the camera. Lens quality and camera metering do play a part in it though.

NO NO NO!!! It's the lenses and the photographer that makes the difference.

However I am unclear of your question. Are you asking "if i put both the rebels in fully automode (the green box) which will produce the best pictures?"

If this is the question, NO its the lenses that make a difference.

or are you asking:

Will the Rebel Ti's features help me take better pictures than the Rebel 2000's features?

If it is this question, the answer is: It depends and not really.

The Ti does offer some nice features, but however non i could see that would make a picture look "nicer".

Just note: this is just my opinion and view on this subject/thread.

Nope. However, the enhancements will make your picture taking experience slightly more pleasant. For me, the brighter viewfinder, more comfortable grip, metal lens mount, tweaked AF, adjustable diopter, faster drive and illuminated LCD are worth paying a little extra for. The R2K has an unusually dim viewfinder...

The last time I checked at B&H, the Rebel TI is only $239 vs $219 for the R2K.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

>>>>>>>>> I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ for the new Ti model, if in the

end it will produce better results...

In my opinion, it is well worth to spend the difference for the Ti (given that it is

under $40, as in most serious stores). If you look at the list of improvements Ti

has over 2000, you'll find that it's well worth the difference. This won't

generate better results directly, but I have no doubt it'll help you indirectly.

There are a lot of improvements which should appeal a lot to beginners

because they are easily distracted by mechanics. Better ergonomics means

getting a few worries off your mind when you shoot it also means being less

conscious about the camera and more appreciative to what you see into the

viewfinder, so yes, in the end, you would probably end with better results.

But remember, the choice of a camera influences the quality of your pictures

only indirectly. The two main influences on quality are lenses and your own

experience.

Bottom line: get the Ti.

I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this "Better ergonomics" of the Ti, I have to say that the Ti is one of the ulgliest camera's ive ever seen, and TO ME at least the ergonmics are horrible, what was canon thinking?

THis is not to defer you from buying the Ti, just my 2cents on the so called "better ergonomics" of the Ti.

[to Jake Ridge] You're right, I've read this many times. Obviously, there is an

effort from Canon in making the shapes more hand-like and natural, but

apparently it doesn't work for all users. For me it does, and I especially

appreciate the idea of putting the mode dial just above the thumb.

[to Susan] Goes without saying, don't buy before getting your hands on both

cameras side by side and find whichever feels more confortable for you.

Echoing what others have said, it's the lens that determines the quality of the picture. For example, let's say you put the very sharp Canon 70-200/4L USM on a Rebel Ti and take a picture. Then you take that same 70-200/4L USM on put it on a Rebel 2000 and take a picture at the same exposure setting. The pictures will look identical. Why? Because you're using the same lens.

<p>

Even though the Rebel Ti won't produce better pictures, it does have a number of better features that make it worth the extra money. For one, the focus points light up when they are in focus, which is very helpful. Also, the large back LCD is very visible and it lights up so you can see it at night. Plus, the pop-up flash is taller than on the Rebel 2000, which should prevent red-eye (putting the flash farther from the lens prevents red-eye in your subjects). The autofocus is supposedly faster, too. This may be particularly important because in-focus pictures tend to be more pleasing than out-of-focus pictures ;-)

The previous posts have made excellent points (ie, the features of the Ti will make your photo taking experience better, but not necessarily result in better photos).

You will get better photos if you spend money on a better zoom than the 28-80 or 28-90 POS that comes with the kit. Get a 50/1.8 prime (<$70 at B&H), the 28-105/3.5-4.5 zoom (NOT the 28-105/4-5.6) or the 28-135 IS zoom.

Another point: if you want to learn photography (ie, learn about exposure, metering, etc.) as opposed to simply putting the camera on automatic and firing, then you may want to consider the next-higher body -- the Elan 7, the Elan IIe or even the discontinued A2. All of these give you a lot more options in terms of metering modes (which allows for more precise metering in those occasional cases where the camera's metering algorithm is fooled) as well as a bunch of additional features and functionalities which make your life a lot easier.

HTH.

NO. The camera has no mind, no eye, no soul. It will not take a photo at all. The photo is produced by the head on one side of the camera and the lens on the other. You will not be able to take a "better" photo with a Ti, Rebel 2K, EOS 1V, Nikon F5, Leica M7, Hassleblad, Rolleiflex, Sinar, etc., than any other camera. If you are capable of making a good photo, you will be well served with a disposable or a Holga. Please don't confuse the taking of the photograph with the method employed in the taking.

All that rant having been said, I would expect either of these cameras would serve well to acquaint a beginner with photography and either of them would produce an equally pleasing photograph. Decide which camera to buy based on features and what feels right to you. And, yes, the Ti is near the pinnacle of truly wretched looking cameras.

Well, I'm in the same boat as you... I am a novice and I went back and forth between the Ti and the 2000 and I got the Ti. There didn't seem to be too many features difference, but the Ti was a little more comfortable in my hand and for me, that was very important. I guess I can't say much for the Rebel 2000 since I didn't buy it, but I can tell you that I love this Ti. I've had it for less than a week and I've already gone through 8 rolls of film. I think the price difference at Wolf Camera in Nashville was about 40 dollars and if I had to do it over again I would in a heartbeat. Go Ti, I'm just getting into photography and I don't find this camera intemidating at all...I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

~BWally

Hi Brad!! So nice to hear from another "Beginner", and so happy to hear that the Ti is working so well for you!! I had a chance to hold a 2000 (saw it while I was in KMart - of all places!) a couple of days ago, and hope to get down to Ritz Camera this weekend and check out the Ti (the only camera shop in my area currently carrying the Ti).... Sounds like the Ti is the way to go...I'm getting quite impatient - and can't wait to finally get my new camera and try it out!!

Thanks for the input!!

Suzanne