I would like to take a winter trip in mid-February to the Corpus

Christi, TX area to do some bird photography. Obviously, the primary

attraction there is Whooping Cranes. Are there lots of places where

someone with a long lens (despite what some may think, even a 600mm

cannot bring in birds out in the middle of the gulf!) can get

reasonably close (e.g., boardwalks, blinds, etc.). I expect to spend

quite a bit of time at Aransas, but am willing to try any other

hotspots nearby.

Yes, Aransas NWR has boardwalks for closer viewing. The only problem now is the severe drought. Most lakes/ ponds are dry or drying. I have a recent trip to Aransas in my site at www.jameshersey.com . I will be there tomorrow and post a new update soon. I expect to take a boat or kayak trip in the next month for Whooping cranes. I will have the details soon.

Mitch - mid-February is a very good time to be visiting Aransas NWR, the entire population of whooping

cranes should be in residence. Note that they are territorial so you will rarely see more than three birds in

any one area (parents and one fledgling). Although I have yet to do this, I am told that the very best way

to photograph whooping cranes is to take a private smaller fishing boat from Rockport rather than the

larger birding boats. Charter rates are around $50/hour with a four hour minimum. Reason is the fishing

guides know the area well and can get in much closer. You will need all the telephoto you can get

despite the size of the cranes.

As to other locations, Goose Island State Park has provided us with some good locations for ibis,

pelicans, herons, egrets and other shore/marsh birds. Because of all the fishing and camping activity

there the birds are not shy. The fishing piers are worth visiting.

Some of my better egret shots were taken at sundown in Rockport harbor, where they perch on pilings.

Rockport has numerous motels and sveral good B&Bs and is the best base in the area. Dawn scenes

after a cold front can be fantastic.

Further north is Matagorda Island State Park, but I think the Rockport/Aransas area has enough to keep

you busy for a few days!

I,ll second the comments about Rockport. There is a large recreation area adjacent to the harbour - a couple of dollars entrance fee and well worth it. Various herons, oyster catcher, yellowlegs, curlew and dowitchers when I went there during the winter. All very approachable from a car window. Other people can be a pain. Also lots of mosquitos!

Jim Greenfield

I think the last poster is referring Laguna Atascosa refuge on South Padre that's 2-1/2 to 3 hours south of Corpus. I've never been there but I would expect it to hold many birds in the winter, as most of the southern Texas coast is full of birds then. I have no idea about how photog friendly Laguna Atascosa is.<p>

I'll third the suggestion of a small boat to see whoopers instead of one of the big tour boats. Also, there are many birding hotspots around Corpus and <a href="http://www.electrotex.com/aoc/where-go.htm">this link</a> should give you plenty of ideas. If you are staying in Corpus, Hans Suter park should be worth a trip; it's located in Corpus and usually has many birds within shooting distance of its boardwalk. For a more isolated locale, I like Pollywog Pond, but so do many, many mosquitos. You may want to post again closer to your trip for updated info on local conditions; I'm hoping to shoot a lot around here in January.

Mitch - on further reflection, if you are based in Corpus Christi you should also consider Padre Island

National Seashore. This 60 mile long strip of barrier beach island has an excellent natural habitat for

wildlife with everything but whooping cranes. The first five miles of beach are open to all types of vehicle,

therafter it is 4 wheel drive at your own risk (I am not sure about the effects of hurricane Brett which blew

over the island earlier this year, but a call to the park HQ will give details on access, tides, etc.).

Thanks to all for the replies. I have taken the very southern Rio Grande "tour", including Laguna Atascosa, Santa Ana, Bentsen Rio Grande SP, etc. All were excellent for birding, but less great for photography (although the SP was good). On South Padre, the convention center was the best spot for photography. I got a very nice shot of a King Rail there!

• 2 weeks later...

Mitch,

Corpus Christi is my primary source, living in nearby San Antonio, for photographs of coastal species.

I too have taken trips to Rockport in an effort to capture the endangered Whooping Crane on film. My last trip there involved a reservation on one of the popular Whooping Crane tours offered in the city. The "Captain Ted" whooping crane tour was a lot of fun and we recorded a fair number of birds on our checklist but the closest Whooping Crane was far beyond the realm of anything short of say a 1200mm with a 2x converter!!! :-)

Some of the other folks who have posted here have pointed you in the right direction. You may also want to get a copy of the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail maps, offered by Texas Parks & Wildlife, which highlight top birding locations in the area.

Good luck on your trip!