Studio flash kits

david b

<p>Hi,<br>

<br />I'm wanting to get a studio flask kit suitable for a beginner. I want to photograph friends and family, probably not more than small groups maximum 4 people at once. I've seen adverts for Interfit, Elinchrom and Bowens. Do people think there is any great advantage of one manufacturer over the other? I see that some are 150Ws, others 200Ws and upto 400Ws within my budget of £500(ish) max. Are the higher powers probably unecessary for small groups? Or is this an area where a bit of extra money is well spent?<br>

<br />Also, would I be better of starting with softboxes or unbrellas? Or one of each?<br>

I am in the UK so anything suggested needs to be available here. I have, as I say, up to £500 or so to spend but don't want to spend money unecessarily if cheaper kit will do, obviously.<br>

I plan on using a Canon 5D with 70-200 Canon L f/4 lens, 50mm f/1.8 lens, which I already have.<br>

Any advice gratefully received.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I don't know the kits you are looking at, nor their adjustment capability. If it is a pack unit, the power is split between all the heads. If they are monolights, that is the power for each head. IMHO a 400WS pack with 3 heads is adequate for the average home studio with a DSLR. More power lets you use power sapping modifiers like umbrellas and soft boxes, and to pull the lights further back for larger groups.<br>

Softboxes are significantly more expensive than umbrellas, and will take a big bite out of your budget. Umbrellas being relatively inexpensive are easier on a limited budget. Get several of different sizes, so you can select the best one to use based on your subject. But umbrellas take up a LOT of space and are clumsy to work around, which is why I do not use a 60 inch umbrella at home, I use the smaller and less clumsy 43 inch umbrella. But if you have the budget, a medium size (2ft x 3ft) softbox is a good size for 1 and 2 person portrature. </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>In my view, a 60" umbrella is a very low-cost way to achieve a very nice quality of light. Sure, they're big, but they're worth it. Also, umbrellas do spray light everywhere, but bigger is always better if you're looking for soft light which wraps your subject. Put a 60" umbrella behind your right or left shoulder, pointing at your subject, and, "voila"--instant beauty lighting. I own a 60" Photoflex umbrella that cost under $50, and it makes great light, even with just a Speedlight and a $20 generic flash bracket.</p>