Focusing screen in D600 different to D800?

pete_s.

<p>I've read that the focusing screen in the D600 is different than the D800. The D800 would be better for manual focus but the D600 a little brighter.</p>

<p>Is there someone who has access to both cameras that could verify that?</p>

<p>From the looks of it it seems like one could put a D800 focusing screen into a D600. Which is want I want to do if it is better for manual focusing and technically possible.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I can't answer the above, but will say the D800 in live view (which is a great tool for manual focusing) is not as good on the D800 as the D600. The D800 takes a lower resolution image and upscales it when zooming in live view making it hard to know if you've achieved critical micro tuned focus. The D600 does not do that, you get full resolution sensor magnifications on the D600 in live view which is great if you depend on critical focus.</p>

<p>However, if using the viewfinder which is better between the two I'll let someone else answer.</p>

<p>The D600 and the D800 appear to use the same focusing screen.<br>

"Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VIII screen with AF area brackets and framing grid"<br>

D600<br /><br>

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d600/pdf/d600_20p.pdf<br>

D800<br /><br>

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/spec.htm<br>

<br>

The issue is probably more to do with the mirror and the display lines on it. The D800 has more AF and metering points, so more lines etched into. More etching = less "mirror" to reflect light.<br /><br>

Just a guess there...but the screens themselves are the exact same.<br /></p>