Beware the OM-D hot shoe ( and on all Oly Pen cameras)

Member69643

<p>This has happened to me twice now, so I thought I'd pass it along. Olympus user manual for the OM-D states that flashes must have voltages less than 24V to be safe to use on the OM-D. I recently tried to use a flash with a trigger voltage of 16V and the hot shoe died. It won't fire any flash at all now except the included mini. Happened to a Pen EPL-1 of mine too.</p>

<p>I have sent the OM-D in to Olympus for warranty repair. I will let folks know what they do. I expect they will deny it and claim user damage, even though my flash was way under their max level.</p>

<p>So, be careful what sort of flash you try and use on these cameras. You have been warned. :)</p>

<p>Did you measure the voltage as 16V? If so what type of meter did you use? Some meters can draw enough current to cause the voltage to collapse to a degree. A digital multimeter or valve voltmeter should be OK. An AVO type instrument might not. The actual open circuit voltage may be significantly higher that that measured with one of these.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=541403">John Seaman</a> , Nov 09, 2012; 11:20 a.m.</p>

<p>Did you measure the voltage as 16V? If so what type of meter did you use? Some meters can draw enough current to cause the voltage to collapse to a degree. A digital multimeter or valve voltmeter should be OK. An AVO type instrument might not. The actual open circuit voltage may be significantly higher that that measured with one of these.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suspect my measuring was probably faulty, and I'll be charged for the repair. Hopefully it won't be too much.</p>

<p>Just so everyone knows, Olympus' service facility in the USA is located on Long Island NY. The business is closed on Saturday when USPS attempted to deliver my OM-D, so my camera was not delivered. They may be closed more permanently due to hurricane Sandy. According to the USPS the facility has 15 days to pick up the items at the post office, otherwise they will be returned to sender.</p>

<p>From Olympus support:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Dear Patrick,<br /><br />Thank you for contacting Olympus Imaging America and providing us with an opportunity to assist you.<br /><br />Thak you for your concern, our service center is open for repair service. We are closed on the weekends, typically delivery will be re-attempted the next business day. <br /><br />Olympus appreciates your support.</p>

</blockquote>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...