RAW and JPEG - Why

gej_jones

<p>When I set up my new D7000 I set the quality to RAW and the second memory card to overflow. <br>

Yesterday I was shooting bracketed. When I looked at my photos, I found that each shot was duplicated: one in RAW and there was a second photo in JPEG. I thought I had somehow changed the settings but after checking, in each case I was shooting ONLY in RAW and the second memory card was set to overflow.<br>

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know how this could happen?<br>

An help will be most appreciated.</p>

<p>There are two different settings we are talking about:</p>

<ol>

<li>For all Nikon DSLRs with two memory card slots (be the same type or different types of cards), you can save NEF (RAW) on one card and JPEG on the other card. Or you can set to backup/duplicate or overflow.</li>

<li>Even though you only save the images to one card, you can still set it to capture RAW + JPEG. In this case both the RAW file and the JPEG file are on the same memory card.</li>

</ol>

<p><br />Are your JPEGs on the same memory card as the RAW images or they are on different cards?</p>

<p>I am not aware of any case where there is some glitch that the camera saves additional JPEGs unintentionally. Perhaps sometimes people can unintentionally change the settings, but I can't imagine that it would subsequently correct itself, also unintentionally.</p>

<p>I have a D7000 and a D800E, and I have used the D3 family, the D300S, D600, and D800, all with two card slots. I have never run into any such glitches before myself.</p>