D7000 lens kit advice

foram_sheth

<p>Hello<br /><br />I'm buying a D7000 and wondering if I should get the lens that comes with the kit, 18-105 <br />($1200)<br /><br />OR<br /><br />get a 30 mm f1.8 AND a 55-200mm f4 - 5.6<br />(body 900, 30mm - $200, 55-200 - $150)<br /><br />Either combination is about the same price in total, and maybe I would be better off with a prime and a zoom lens instead of the 18-105 which is a more general coverage and has decent reviews, but maybe my money is better used with the other lenses?<br /><br />I am a new photographer, and am turning this into a career slowly, and like to do lots of street photography, nature, and some event photography...<br /><br />Cheers<br />JNS</p>

<p>It it were my money and choosing what you have listed I would go with the 18-105mm, then decide what you need next and save your money for better glass. I certainly understand the need for frugality when you are first buying a setup, but after that don't go cheap on a lens. You won't be happy, and you will end up with a lot of unwanted cylindrical paperweights.</p>