70-200/2.8 VRII chatter

jeff_becker

<p>Hi - I'm trying to determine if my lens is defective or if this is normal.<br /> I have a Nikon 70-200/2.8 VRII lens and I've noticed that while using the AF system as the lens focuses on a <em>new</em> single point area in the frame that there is some slight lens chatter as it goes to acquire the new point. You can slightly hear the movement of the glass as it focuses and grabs on the new spot. Is this normal or should it all be as smooth as silk with zero chatter?<br>

I typically shoot in AF-S or AF-C mode and I do watch the tiny LED point in the viewfinder go off and on as the lens refocuses.<br /> When I use Manual focus I hear no chatter.<br /> The photos seem to turn out fine but I'm curious if anyone else experiences this or if I should send to Nikon.</p>

<p>Thank you. I was doing my testing in AF-S mode and just picking different focus points in my house by using the AF-ON button, not the shutter button.<br>

I think it is simply the VRII system making the noise. When I turn off the VR it makes less noise - just the slight chatter of the elements moving that is typical on zoom lenses. I did try my VRI lens though (Nikon 55-200mm) and it seems to me like the VRII is noisier on the VRII 70-200/2.8 lens than VRI is on the 55-200mm lens - but I assume that is normal since the 70-200 lens is bigger with more elements and has much more going on - plus it has a different style of VR.</p>