Mamiya RZ shutter, mirror, cocking issue

greg_meier

<p>Hello, Apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I searched for quite a while and did not find a similar question.<br>

My RZ shutter fires and advances fine with a 50mm, a 180mm and with no lens attached. With my 110mm however, the mirror will often, but not always, stay up and the advance lever locks. About 60 seconds later the mirror lock up buzzer sounds, the mirror drops, and I can advance the film and cock the shutter. I thought this was a lens problem so I picked up another 110mm on ebay. Alas, the same problem occurs. Since the ebay lens is used, it is possible it has the same problem. But is this a lens issue, a body issue? <br>

Has anyone had a similar experience? <br>

I am hesitant to take it for servicing because here in Washington, I have not found a good technician with reasonable rates. Online rates for lens repair are often more than a used lens costs.<br>

Thanks, Greg</p>

<p>The main thing I can think of at the moment...is it possible the (MLU) mirror lock-up socket is not fully retracted on both 110 lenses? Strange coincidence, yes...but maybe?<br /> Try screwing a cable release into the MLU socket on the lens. Then, unscrewing/removing the cable release a couple of times...ensuring the socket retracts back [flush] into the lens each time.</p>

<p>Your profile doesn't say where in Washington, (state?) you are located.<br /> Give 'Alpine Camera' a call, in The City of Spokane Valley, WA.<br /> (509) 892-6645<br /> http://www.alpinecamera.com/</p>

<p>Marc, thanks for the response. Unfortunately it is not the mirror lock-up socket. I tried unscrewing and removing the cable release. It seems like something maybe is too tight or sticking on both lenses. In fact, the shutter does not fire when it sticks. After 60 seconds I am just able to cock it again. But sometimes just by squeezing or starting to loosen lens ring, the shutter will fire. Sometimes I can get it to fire many times in succession, and then it will stick again. With 110mm both lenses. Weird. <br>

I am in Washington DC, but I think I may give alpine camera a call anyway. thanks for the suggestion.</p>

<p>Greg</p>

• 5 months later...