Which Zeiss Lens for Pentax K-5 IIs

joe_casey5

<p>I could use some help... I purchased the Pentax K-5 IIs last November and love the camera, only I'm looking for a good landscape lens from the Zeiss family to add to my kit. I've looked at many prime focal lengths from 18mm - 50mm. I've noticed it is hard to find Zeiss lenses that fit the Pentax K mount but I'm willing to work around this.<br>

What I'd like help with is what focal length is BEST for landscapes <strong>(WAIT, before you answer, first READ HOW I plan to use the lens...)</strong><br>

I'm looking at using this lens primarily for panoramic landscape shots where I will mount the camera on a Gimble Head (vertically) and pan and stitch multiple shots. As such, wide focal lengths like the 18mm and 21mm would be far too wide for what I'm looking to do. 50mm seems more appropriate, since the lens and camera will be on it's side and will include much more detail than a standard 2x3 composition.<br>

My main concern is if I buy a 35mm or 50mm lens, what is the best Zeiss lens (in this focal range) for maximum depth of field and sharp edge-to-edge images?<br>

Your assistance is much appreciated.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is more then sharpness and DOF to consider. If you are stitching shots barrel distortion will get you too with a wide angle lens. Why not consider a Pentax DA prime and use the in camera software to eliminate the distortion before you start to stitch. I really do not think if you use a tripod and the best aperture with a DA prime you will in any way be unhappy with your shots.</p>

<p>Joe,</p>

<p>Zeiss stopped production of K-mount lenses about two years ago--the assumed rationale was poor sales, so there are a dearth of them available. A similar dynamic applies to the Cosina Voigtlander lenses.</p>

<p>I've not owned any Zeiss lenses for K-mount and cannot speak from experience. I think Brian above has good advice regarding considering Pentax-branded higher quality lenses. The FA 31mm f1.8 Ltd. surely deserves your consideration. Other better quality alternatives include the Nokton (CV) 58mm f1.4 SL II and yes, the Samyang 35mm f1.4.</p>

<p>Both Lightroom and ACR offer built-in lens corrections for most of the Pentax lenses and some third party makes as well. You can also use the Adobe Lens Profile Creator tool to produce custom corrections for any lens. I've done this and it is worthwhile, if time consuming.</p>

<p>I do like your idea of using the K-5IIs for stitched landscapes. My photographic mentor used to work for Gigapan and would show me how an early model worked in the field. It's even better now.</p>

<p>ME</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Brain, I have considered the distortion factor. Currently I'm using Lightroom 3 which does not support Pentax. I need to get L4 which I understand does provide support. <br>

I rented the FA43mm lens, supposedly one of Pentax's best and wasn't impressed! I shot a picture of Deerfield pier just before sunrise and (set to the lens' hyperfocal distance at F16 - I don't normally use the highest setting due to diffraction) infinity was not sharp at all! Looking at the exact same composition shot on my Fuji GX617 with Velvia 100 showed infinity to be tack sharp. Just goes to show film isn't dead yet!<br>

I see Samyang is set to release a 24mm TS-E lens this year and if the optical quality can rival Canon's L TS-E II lenses I'd be very interested in taking a look at that.</p>