Gitzo travel tripods and the benro travel angel

jason_fung

it is a bit more complex than the question states. I've done quite a bit of research however my local dealers don't carry every single tripod

i wanted to try.

I already use a full sized carbon fiber tripod from benro for my large format needs. Which is quite servicable; but i'm looking for something

that will travel much better when I leave that beast at home. I won't be supplying links, because that often leads to my questions being

blocked by yahoo answers.

The biggest camera I'll be putting on this would be a polariod 110B. More commonly, it will be a Mamiya C330 TLR which weights

approxmately 2kg. Features in order of priority.

- rigidity

- collapsable length and portablility

- weight (i'm already carrying a massive TLR kit)

- maximum height (it's a TLR no matter what i'll be looking down anyways)

I first looked at the Gitzo 531. Which had a closed length of 33cm. However i found the legs really thin and the result was not a stable

platform for long exposures.

Other considerationsi nclude the

gitzo systematic series 4 carbon fibre super compact tripod (GT4552TS)

(question: does the series indicate the general rigidity and diameter of the legs?)

Series 2 6X Basalt 4 section (GT2840C)

Series 3 6X Basalt 4 section (GT3840C)

(more questions:

- is there a question of reliablity or rigidity with the basalt series. I've been reading inconsistent reviews

- again I repeat my series question in a slightly different way. Series 2 or series 3?)

Thank you for reading

• 2 weeks later...

<p>You already have a Benro so you know they're decent tripods. I used to have a Gitzo 1541T travel tripod, then I bought a Benro Travel Angel and it turned out to be a better tripod than the Gitzo, so I sold the Gitzo. </p>

<p>My support kit is a Gitzo 3-series systematic and the Benro traveler. My model is <a href="http://bit.ly/mCtWJN">the C2680T and I reviewed it here</a>. The review includes the tripod specs.</p>

<p>I can't answer your very specific question, but...<br />I have a Gitzo Basalt, which is a great tripod. When I was looking for a travel set bowever, I ended up with a couple of the smaller Benro carbon fiber Travel Angel jobs. They are great for less than 50% of the simliar Gitzo sets IMO. </p>