Shooting Locations in Flagstaff during Winter

michael_wilson15

<p>Along route 89a is a good place to see and photograph the peaks. I like taking the same road from Flagstaff to Oak Creek canyon in the snow, if you have a all wheel drive vehicle (we have a subaru). <br /> Another favorite place for us is along Lake Mary Road, south of Flag. Last year I photographed about 30 bald eagles on the ice in the middle of the lake. <br /> You are right, many of the forest service roads are closed this time of the year. I like taking the Hart Prairie loop in the fall. <br /> <a href="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200214952962085.2200017.1400071109&type=1&l=070eb45e0d">https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1779735378740&set=a.1779722738424.2103256.1400071109&type=3&theater</a><br /> <br /> We were playing in the snow on Saturday in Flagstaff. <br /> <a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1779736658772&set=a.1779722738424.2103256.1400071109&type=3&theater"><br /></a></p>

<p>If you go south on AZ 89A from Flagstaff (south on I-17 from I-40 to the Pulliam Airport/Coconino County Park exit), you'll come to an overlook at the head of Oak Creek Canyon, just before 89A drops off into the canyon itself. The road will probably be clear from Flag to the overlook, but it could get dicey going down the grade. Take a look on Google Earth before going down to Sedona. Anyway, the overlook is a good place for a shot or two.</p>

<p>If you go west on I-40 to Bellemont and get on Brannigan Park Rd, you'll find a couple of spots to get shots of the Peaks. There's also a spot in the Red Lake area, south of Williams on AZ 64 (go behind the gas station).</p><div>00bBXt-511259584.jpg.decfad22529cf0bb563efad5b52b2c3e.jpg</div>

<p>I highly recommend Walnut Canyon and Wupatki National Monuments. Both have ruins of ancient Indian stone dwellings. Walnut Canyon has cliff dwellings on canyon walls while at Wupatki the ruins are out in the open with sometimes-stunning views of the snow-covered San Francisco Peaks. I'd see both, but would favor Wupatki for a very clear day due to the long-distance views and the potential to take photos with a really wide-open feel and tremendous depth. Unfortunately, when I was there it was summer and a little hazy. Conditions should be better this time of the year. However, winter operating hours are 9-5 which limits opportunities for early morning shooting. I hope you get some stunning clear winter days!</p>

<p>I agree with Bill on those national monuments - both are well worth the time. There are some nice shots of the peaks from Walnut Canyon by the way. You will likely not be able to do the entire hiking loop at Walnut Canyon. We were there last March and the last half of the trail was closed due to ice. The first half was well worth it though - you're down in a canyon, surrounded by dozens of ruins with bright sunlight and crisp air. </p>