Photographic Journey from SFO in May for 23 days - Photographer from Austria seeks help from experienced locals

fp56gallery

<p>Dear community members!<br>

This will be my second journey to the West of the US. At the end of April I will arrive at SFO and go for a 23 day trip with an RV. My first one was to the Colorado Plateau with all the overwhelming highlights (http://www.xdreamphoto.com/NP%20USA%20SW%202010%20by%20Franz%20Pritz/index.html).<br>

I`m in the process of planning and not finally sure what way an which places to go to. Basically I don`t want to drive too many miles but rather stay at interesting places for some time and do some hiking and photographing. Have done so at my first journey when I went down the Grand Canyon and back in one day, just to give you an idea.<br>

My plan so far is, after shooting in the Bay area for 2 - 3 days, to drive up the CA coast (Marin Headlands, Salt Point State Park, Mendocino, Trinidad Beach, Humboldt) to the "Redwoods" near the OR border and then to drive West to "Lava Beds"- region, and south to the Lassen region, then to"Tahoe Sierra" and "Central Sierra" and have the finish in Yosemite NP.<br>

May I ask you experienced community members if this is a good plan or if I should consider some special things.<br>

Another question: would you suggest to consider another circle with Yosemite NP, Death Valley and the south CA coast and for which reason?<br>

Any help appreciated. Thank's in advance.<br>

Franz</p>

<p>I can't get enough of California's north coast especially Salt Point. If you try and access Yosemite from the east side via Tioga Pass, the road may or may not be open due to snow. The park tries to open the pass by the third week of May, but it can be as late as the 4th of July. If the pass is closed your looking at a 7 hour trip around to the west side. </p>

<p>Franz;<br>

Although it is some months off, I still want to welcome you and hope you have a plesanant stay. Where are you from?<br>

I want to first dirrect you to a couple of websites that can help you plan your trip by knowing what there is to do and see, as well as finding out a bit more of out of the way places that are less known.<br>

First is the National Park System. <a href="http://www.nps.gov/index.htm">http://www.nps.gov/index.htm</a><br>

Then the BLM. <a href="http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html">http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html</a><br>

The U.S Forest Service. <a href="http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#California">http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#California</a><br>

There are several others, but these I have bookmarked. (Google CA state parks)<br>

Since you are in a RV I would consider the BLM or forest service as oposed to the NP's as it will be cheeper to stay; also you might want to consider Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP rather than Yosemite: Yes, they are 200 miles south of Yosemite, but there are A LOT less people, and along with the Redwoods (the tallest trees) you will see the biggest trees. (Sequoias).<br>

I am not that familiar with No. Cal, but I would not recomend your second trip; If you choose to go south, head from Yosemite to San Luis Obispo and then up Hyw 1 through Big Sur and Monterey. (If you go to Monterey be sure to see the Aquarium.) San Luis has a lot of wine country, and there are tours that take you to the different ones so you do not have to drive. Also there are quite a few inlets and coastal waterways.<br>

Anyway, I hope this helps, and have a great time!</p>

<p>Don</p>

<p>The OP is from Austria, in Europe.</p>

<p>If you drive down highway 1, you are better off driving from north to south, especially in the Big Sur area. Most of the attractions are, naturally, on the coast side. When you drive from north to south, you just pull over to the view points. When you drive from south to north, you need to cross in-coming traffic every time you get in and out of those vista points. I have done that in both directions and it makes a (small?) difference, especially when you are driving an RV.</p>

<p>You will be getting to the California coast at just the right time of year. From your comments, I think you want to travel north. The itinerary you have outlined is very nice. Highway 1 in northern California can be a challenge in a large RV, so you might want to consider a smallish one. I'm a particular fan of Redwood National Park and the Jedediah Smith Redwoods state park on Hwy 199 north west of Crescent City. Also see Patricks Point State Park. You might want to consider also the Southern Oregon coast and go up to Bandon,OR. This coast is very nice to photograph, there are nice camping places, and nice hikes. See Samuel Boardman State Park in Oregon. From Bandon you could turn inland to aim south. Consider Interstate 5 to State 140 toward Klamath Falls, Klamath Basin, Lava Beds NM then US 395 south. Google the "Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway" for a waterfall tour. In April/May Crater Lake NP will most likely be snowed in, but there are some lovely views from the rim, and snowshoeing/x-country skiing is possible. In California, many passes over the Sierra will likely be closed except for Interstate 80, back to San Francisco. Have fun. It's a great place to visit.</p>

<p>I'd also suggest that you consider adding on the Oregon Coast as far as Bandon. Its simply one of the best coastlines anywhere. I'd take a good hard look at the inland legs, from the viewpoint of when the roads you'll need are likely to open and indeed whether you might be limited to main roads which would make photography less productive. Certainly a few years back my May trip to California's sierras and desert was substantially affected by snow closing roads and discouraging restaurants etc from opening. There are websites that will give the latest news on road closures in Califonia. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm">http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm</a></p>

<p>will even give you opening dates for the last several years. </p>

<p>Oops, I meant SE Washington State. You can also go to photosig.com and set up a free account for a password. Once you're in, you can browse by content, etc. or do a search on "palouse" and Bill Hubbard's name will pop up eventually. I believe he lives there or nearby. Not sure if it's the same Bill Hubbard that's in the PN directory, but he does have a lot of nice work at photosig of the Palouse region.</p>

<p>Your plan sounds like a great trip as is. While at Lava Beds, be sure to check out the adjacent Klamath Basin National Wildlife Refuges. I would keep Death Valley on the list, as well as the Eastern Sierra in general and Alabama Hills and Mono Lake in particular. If you're lucky, Tioga Pass will be open by the time you're ready to finish up in Yosemite.</p>

<p>One more thing: If you happen to be a lighthouse fan, there's a wealth of material. Point Bonita light in Marin County; Point Arena Light and Point Arena area in general, Cape Mendocino Light, all in California. In southern Oregon you will find the Cape Blanco lighthouse near Port Orford, and the Coquille River Light at Bandon. In SF there's also Fort Point - an 1860's fort that guarded the entrance to SF Bay - it's right underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. </p>

<p>Dear contributers!<br>

I really appreciate your great help. As it's a once in lifetime journey I want to make it right. From your answers I see that it should be the right decision to go up north. I will follow the advice of Steve and David and include the southern part of the Oregon coast up to Brandon into my route.<br>

I see that there is not a big enthusiasm from your side for Yosemite NP. Might be to early in the year?<br>

Mono Lake does only make sense in my route if Tioga pass is open!?<br>

Tom: Palouse would be great! Have seen wonderful images from the region. But too big distances for this journey, as I primarily want to stay out in the nature, enjoy the surrounding and take pictures. May be sometime?<br>

Don: I'm from Salzburg, Austria. Great scenery here to (will attach an image). Thank you for your help. <br>

Thank you all for your warm welcome here and your wishes for my stay in the US.<br>

Franz</p><div>00bH6y-515769584.jpg.ab70c1098f3f25268c262d51ec59271d.jpg</div>

<p>We had a lot of snow in the higher areas in California this winter (mainly a month ago in December). There is little doubt that Tioga Pass will still be closed in April, as usual. If you want to visit Mono Lake, it would be much easier in the summer and the fall.</p>

<p>Having visited with an RV most of the places you're considering , I would suggest using the Oregon State Parks, such as Bullards Beach in Bandon, Oregon, as well as National Forest Service campgrounds where possible. You can make advance reservations on the internet. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Please apologise my long absence. Hopefully the thread isn't dead yet. But I followed Charles advice and bought the photographer`s guidebooks for Oregon and Northern California and the reading took some time!<br>

Now I`considering a new route: Should I go the whole way up the Pacific coast to Portland, visit the Columbia river gorge and on the way back pick up the highlights from center Oregon and Northern California and leave Yosemite NP for an other visit at a better time than mid May? What do you think?<br>

Franz</p>

<p>No issues about extending the trip north up the coast, and the Oregon coast is scenic all the way to the mouth of the Columbia and even there if you like gritty port towns with some nice Victorian housing at Astoria. Also I do like photographing in the Columbia valley, though I suspect you'll be a week or two late for the apple and pear blossoms near Hood River- peaked about April 25th in 2012 and I was there. You can get across to the photogenic but quiet Painted Hills Unit of the John Day Park in centrsl Oregon </p>

<p>However after that things get a little more difficult. Central Oregon is about as messy to get around then as inland northern California. In early May last year we couldn't get across the McKenzie Pass (though the parallel Santiam was open -though snowy). Neither could we reach any of the more interesting lakes in the central Cascades, and Crater Lake access is poor apart from to one point I think. The Lava country round Bend is probably accessible but is frankly not of great interest to me anyway. Basically right down the spine of Oregon and into Northern California you can't guarantee to see all the main features well at that time of year. </p>

<p>Interestingly one of the places you're pretty certain to be able to access is Yosemite Valley- though not the high country and unlikely the Tioga Pass out to the east. So if you're doing an inland loop, you possibly need to be prepared to keep east or west of the Cascades/Sierras if the conditions are as average or worse. There's no problem keeping out of the snow- the problem is to keep out of the snow and road closures whilst getting good photographs and seeing the best the scenery has to offer. For someone like me, liking car wrecking yards and beaten-up old towns as well as natural countryside, there's a lot of stuff in central/ eastern Oregon and northern California east and west of the Sierra to keep me interested, but the landscape isn't always interesting. As I say you will get to some places, but you'll need to miss others.</p>

<p>You've got the same issues facing you whether you confine the trip to California as original, extend up to Bandon in Oregon as suggested, or extend further to the Columbia Valley. Basically up or down the coast is likely to be accessible and very scenic ( unless it rains in Oregon, which isn't unknown) . But parts of the inland leg are likely to be less interesting at that time of year if, as looks likely, the passes don't open earlier than usual. </p>

<p>There follows a couple of pictures on the inland Oregon area which may enthuse you or otherwise.</p><div>00bKDH-518495584.jpg.dd79765cf1f0bd153b6556771c6c55f1.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks a lot, David. This is really great information.<br>

As far as I see the possibilities, the choice of the routes depends on the photographic and hiking possibilities in Yosemite NP in mid of may. Possibly someone could give me advice and share experiences about that.<br>

Franz </p>