Best quality Russian optics???

giles_poilu

This question comes up frequently. The quality can vary from lens to lens (so I'm told) but I have a Jupiter-8 that is awesome.

I am posting my "Bronze Eagle" again that was taken with my Juiter-8 50/2 on an M2 with adapter using Tri-X film.

Very sharp image with good contrast and good bokeh in background. They have about 10 aperture blades.<div>004B0S-10524684.jpg.1d1435007247aa8323288ecefa591b96.jpg</div>

Giles, I have a Zorki 4K in very good condition with Jupitor 8 50mm f2 lens that you can try out if you like. I can send it to you, you put a few rolls of film through and if you like it then make me an offer.(as I said, I've never paid more than £30 for one). A kind of 'try before you buy'.

The eBay item you listed could be a winner. It is the same as mine...English writing on the front, intended for the European and American markets, with better quality control (so I'm told).

It looks nice and clean.

It's interesting that the ad pictures the old Soviet flag and not the Russian flag, but, maybe that's because he's selling USSR equipment.

Seems these are all brand new lenses and the seller has <a href="http://cq-search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=leica+jupiter+50&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&ebaytag1=ebayavail&ebaytag1code=3&from=R10&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=">lots of them for sale.</a><p>£25 for a brand new 50 shipped to your door seems impressive, as do some of the recommendations here, sure it's not a Summicron but these are super cheap.

If you're interested Russian lenses, check out Fedka.com. He's got a steady stock of the Jups in both LTM and Contax mounts.

I've ordered several Jupiters from him (Yuri, I think, is his name), and he seems to go out of his way to make sure they're in good shape (and if they're not in good shape, he'll make sure you understand what you're getting.)

His prices are little higher than the average Jup on ebay, but you can be assured you're getting something that is actually usable -- as opposed to several ebay Jupiter sellers who seem to sell lenses that look quite different (and are in considerably worse shape) than the lenses pictured in the auction.

Fedka has lots of cleaned up FEDs, Zorkis, and Kievs, too.

Plus, he ships from New York, so if you're in the states, you can usually get the item in a couple days. Packed nicely, exactly as pictured.

(I'm not affiliated with Fedka, but I've found -- after a year or so of buying lots of Russian stuff -- that his 35mm lenses and bodies are consistently high quality -- or at least as "high quality" as you're gonna get with 20,30, 40 year old bodies and lenses.)

(a) As was pointed already, Russian lenses are copies of Zeiss lenses; after the war they were coated.

(b) They are of excellent quality, as a rule. The reason they are cheap is not because of their inferiority, but for the reason of political and economic realities. Enjoy your access as long as it lasts - I am not sure how long the current conditions last - the realtive poverty of the former USSR population, for whom $100 sales can feed the family for a month, and how long the stocks last.

© Among lenses I have are Jupiter-3 (1.5/50) I bought separately, and Jupiter-8 on a Zorki-4K body.

The one from Zorki focusses too closely - about 3-4 sm off - at the closest range, wide open (I usually photograph a ruler) - when attached to a Bessa LTM body.

When attached to the Zorki-4K, however, it is precise.

The second lens, the one I bought separately is precise on the Japanese LTM body.

Zorki cameras were NEVER sold without lens (unlike the tradition in the West, where body and lens are separated to extract higher price). Therefore I suspect, during manufacture the lens focussing cam was polished, adjuste to fit the camera.

So, in the end my opinion is that one should really make use of the unique current conditions and get several Russian lenses - they are so cheap, everyone can afford it.

I would be a bit more wary about the lenses taken from camera bodies as opposed to lenses that were sold separately (i.e. coming in those plastic screw-on black barrel-like containers).

Has anyone here tried the Orion 15 on a Bessa R or R2? Gandy says it won't work, but after doing some babelfishing on Japanese sites, I found reports that it may work on the CV bodies after all. Anyone here with any experience trying it?

Also, the Orion 15 is not RF coupled, correct?

Japanese sites:

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Bou/CCCP/Pages/bessa_r.html

http://www.cameraguild.co.jp/cosinacamera/Russia.html

http://kuro704.cool.ne.jp/albm/021027/

http://kuro704.cool.ne.jp/albm/021025/

I suppose the pics speak for themselves.

Garvey; Re:<BR><BR><i>Has anyone here tried the Orion 15 on a Bessa R or R2? Gandy says it won't work, but after doing some babelfishing on Japanese sites, I found reports that it may work on the CV bodies after all. Anyone here with any experience trying it? <BR><BR>

Also, the Orion 15 is not RF coupled, correct? </i>

<BR><BR><BR>The Orion-15 in LTM is RF coupled; and focuses to 1 meter. The lens's focus cam is cylindical; thus it will work on a Russian camera (with a camera body focus arm ROLLER) ; or a leica or Bessa with a camera body focus cam arm roller..<BR><BR>My Orion-15 fits on all my Russian Lennigrad, FED, and Zorki; plus my Bessa R and Leica M (with a LTM adapter). <BR><BR> The lens is very slow at F6 . it is a very light, compact lens. It is sharp enough for grab shots; but I have not explored really how good or bad the lens is. That is a future exercise for me. <BR><BR>I am puzzled that someone would mention it not fitting on a Bessa R; perhaps there is a variant of the lens that doesnt fit; or a percieved metering problem..???<BR><BR>The Orion-15 in KIEV camera mount is ultra rare.....