High End Bodies. Why did you buy one?

rick_m.

<p>I am interested in why those of us who have D3 and D4 series bodies bought them. What specifically motivated you to spend in excess of $5000.00 for a camera body? What features made them worth the investment? For some it might just be the desire to own the best. If you are one of them how does this desire reward you?</p>

<p>These cameras have a recessed ocular (by 10mm?) so this makes it easier to see the whole viewfinder image than the small camera bodies (e.g. D800) as the nose doesn't have to pressed as much against the back of the camera. The D3/D4 series are also easier to operate with gloves on in the cold (currently about -11C). The vertical grip is better integrated into the body with better button placements. It just fits my hands better. The battery capacity is also greater. The 24 PC-E is easier to use when there is more space around the lens. The "big" camera I currently use is the D3X; I also use D800 and D700 "small" cameras.</p>

<p>In order words practical, ergonomic criteria. The price is high, but the problem is that if I don't buy the camera that fits my hands and is comfortable to use in the conditions where I use it, then this sends the wrong signal to Nikon regarding what kind of cameras I would like to use. In my opinion, ergonomically Nikon's D800 is perhaps the worst "high end" camera I've owned; the curvature of the grips have too tight radius and it feels awkward. However, I guess this is a highly personal thing and other people will say the opposite. I hope they get to buy the cameras which they find comfortable to use.</p>

I was caught up with an internal struggle about this myself, Rick. I would say that for me the biggest

decision point was whether I could buy a D4 without missing other financial obligations, liquidating all of

my savings and resorting to eating Ramen noodles for all my meals. I'm not a wealthy doctor or

anything but I was able to satisfy these so that was a green light on that front.

The other factors that I considered...

1. I didn't have a backup body and I started shooting things where I have some obligation that I get some

shots.

2. I have long fingers that are pretty narrow. This makes holding D7000 and smaller bodies awkward at

best. My D300 even feels like I don't have a solid hold on it without the battery grip. With the grip, it

feels very comfortable.

3. I don't get opportunities to shot every day. When I have a chance, I have to take advantage of it. That

means I'm in weather that's less than ideal some times. The extra weather proofing in the prosumer+

bodies is very desirable.

4. I'm shooting sports quite a bit so I wanted a high frame rate.

The D700 and D800 satisfied all of these except for a high frame rate. I toiled over a new D4 vs. a used

D3/D3s for a bit but, in the end, the D4 new didn't end up costing me that much more than a used D3 or

D3s from a reputable reseller (something like KEH; not a random eBay seller).

I hope this helps. Good luck!

-- Wade

<p dir="LTR">Rick here are my 2 cents: I mainly shoot birds, and as I like to do it while hiking, I only use Nikon's 300mm f/4 (which is not as heavy as the 500 and 600 mm), so I need as many pixels as I can have to allow me large crop factors. I bought my D3x about 3 years ago as it was then with the largest CMOS Nikon offered. When the D800 was launched, I bought a D800E for the same reason (even pixels than the D3x). The D800E is a great camera with lots of advantages, and gives me excellent results, but it doesn't get close to the D3x…. I totally agree with Ilkka, the size end the ergonomic of the D3 is perfect for me. I traveled to Victoria Falls last year, the amount of water spray there is incredible. I took lots of photos with the D3x, and had no fault during the shoots or afterwards. I won't dare exposing the D800 to such experience so here is one more reason to own the "professional" cameras as I believe they are more weather proof. </p>

<p>I had one Canon 1 series digital camera before switching to Nikon, and durability in harsh conditions (and with hard use) was the primary consideration for me. It was the 1Ds II, and I bought it when the 1Ds III came out. I got it new for half price while prices were in free fall. I am now shooting the D800E and the D7000. The high-end Nikons are out of my price range right now, but I am happy with what I have.</p>

<p>As for high megapixels (no longer a characteristic of only high end cameras), I find that the D800E works well, given my tendency to do a lot of cropping. For me, getting the D800E was a "high end" purchase relative to my financial situation in semi-retirement, but I do find myself babying it in a way that I never did with the 1Ds II. Some of the higher portions of the Appalachian Trail are not far from me, and I would like to do some winter shooting over 6,000 feet, but I am reluctant to put the D800E though that. I probably will anyway. . . .</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I shoot a lot, mostly equestrian events and for that I needed a big buffer the ability to shoot at a high frame rate with a robust body. I went from shooting a D300 and D300s to a D4. The D4 is the tool I needed to do my work. I wish it had been less expensive or that Nikon had brought out a D300 replacement but.....</p>

<p>I have zero complaints about the D4 as a tool.</p>

<p>I really enjoyed using my D3 for the last four years. Never missed a beat, solid and reliable. However, I replaced it with a D800E and after some initial frustration of getting used to a smaller body I now wouldn't go back to the larger pro body cameras. I have very small hands so find the D800E comfortable. I don't need high frame rates or a large buffer and find the cropping ability amazing. I don't like the fact that the D800 has an in built flash as this is a potential place for water entry if caught in the rain.</p>

<p>i got my D3s primarily for the hi-ISO capabilities. but it just works in just about any situation. the ergonomics are great with a very intuitive, responsive layout which holds up to fast-paced work. not sure i would feel the same about a d4, which is better (marginally) in some categories and worse in others.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In my opinion, ergonomically Nikon's D800 is perhaps the worst "high end" camera I've owned; the curvature of the grips have too tight radius and it feels awkward.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That trend started with the D7000 and continues with the D800 and the D600. Apparently all in an effort to shave off a few millimeters from the width of the camera body. Really a pity, the D200 and the D300 bodies feel so good in my hand.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However, I guess this is a highly personal thing and other people will say the opposite.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I hope they get to buy the cameras which they find comfortable to use.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When the D7000 came out, I was "all set" to get one or even two. Might have overlooked all the other deficiencies - but the poor ergonomics killed the deal. Depending on how the Nikon mid-to-high end DX near future looks, I might get me a used or refurbished one and marry the 16-85 to it - I doubt I am willing to handle anything bigger and heavier on that body. </p>

<p>I have yet to spend five grand on a camera, any camera. And I don't feel that I'm missing anything.</p>

<p>After shooting the N80, F100, D70, D200, D700, 7D, 5D2, and 5D3 for extended periods of time, I find nothing physically uncomfortable about the D800. It feels perfect in my hands. I have large hands, so I don't know if that makes a difference.</p>

<p>I had had Nikon Fs, F2s, F3s with film. I was spoiled by the full pro quality, especially of the viewfinders.<br>

My first digital cam was a D200. I was pleased enough with the imaging.<br>

When I discovered that, due to it's design, it was impossible to accurately eye focus a Nikon 85mm/1.4 AiS wide open in the finder, and that the finder ocular was made of plastic, I dumped the camera.<br>

I got a D2Xs for the highest possible finder quality. I did not regret getting it in any way--I just accepted that you had to pay top dollar to get a decent finder.<br>

When full-frame came out, I got one D3, then another.<br>

Recently I got a D800E. The finder is useable, but without the full optical clarity and flatness of field of the D3, and presumably the D4. If they make a D4X HiRes model with the expected "full pro" finder, I'll want that instead of the D800.<br>

It's all a question of how much torture you are willing to endure. As I said above, I was spoiled early on.</p>

<p>Nikon considers the D800 series to be a pro camera. However as several people have noted here, the ability to use the D800 viewfinder to focus is less flexible than with the F2 & F6 film bodies. It remains to be seen that the D4 series works any better in this regard, as I wasn't going to spend $6,000 for a digital body, so I have yet to use it. (Its not advertised to be.) This would though highly influence any future purchase decisions I make about the upper end of Nikon's pro line.</p>

<p>With all that said, I do find with only a very minor lag that I can manually hit the critical focus point I need using the D800 viewfinder. So far autofocus hasn't been working for the subjects I would need it for, and certainly doesn't work at all for most of my older lenses anyway. So in the way I work without autofocus, I quite depend on the optical viewfinder to be better designed than it is now in these digital cameras.</p>