Cooscan IV - any grain issues?

<p>In high contrast beach scenes I'd overexpose a stop or two with color negative film to keep the midtones and shadows clean. I don't think that's a scanner issue.</p>

<p>Ways of mitigating the scanner grain issue is to scan at full optical resolution, apply noise filtering, and downsize.<br>

<br />Shadow grain and dynamic range can be an issue for slide films only. It's possible to mitigate this with HDR software and scanning at multiple exposures and combining.</p>

Roger - one advantage you have now is that if you are still shooting film you can specifically shoot with the knowledge

that you are going to scan the output, which should improve the outcomes as you describe. I used the coolscan for a lot

of archive photos that went back decades and did not have that luxury. Kind of makes me wonder whether I shouldnt find

some film amd make use of it.

<p>Thanks for all the replies and advice, </p>

<p>I picked up the Coolscan V yesterday and purchased Viewscan professional - I didn't even think that scans of this quality were possible. To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. The resolution and tonal range that the Coolscan produces is the perfect version of a "digital negative". The only time I saw grain so sharp was in a darkroom. </p>

<p>Now to learn about colour correction!</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Yes you can scan at multiple hardware exposures using Vuescan (check "lock exposure" and play with analog gain.) The Vuescan multisampling also reduces noise in slide film. On the LS-4000 and 5000 I believe it samples each pixel more than once on the same pass, so there are no film alignment issues.</p>