Olympus VF-1, 2 or 3 for my EPL-1?

mark_stephan2

<p>I'll be getting one of these for Christmas but want to check on compatibility for my camera. Because of their lower cost I'm thinking about either the VF-1 or 3 but would consider the VF-2 if there are any issues with the other two. I'd also like to know how well these work for framing the subject? I often shoot on bright days and using the lcd to compose is often useless and I'm hoping this will solve that problem.</p>

VF-1 is an optical finder that is suited only to the 17mm lenses, and will give you only an approximation of

said lenses' field of view. VF-3 is an electronic finder that will give you a true through-the-lens view; once

you've got the finder's brightness dialled in then it makes working in fully-manual mode almost as fast as

(and, in terms of getting the exposure you want, far more reliable than) any of the automated modes. VF-2

offers the same benefits as VF-3 but with a higher-resolution viewfinder.

Personally I have the VF-2 attached almost permanently to my E-PM1 - it wasn't cheap but it's turned the

little beast into my favourite digicam, pushing aside even my Pentax K5.

<p>The E-PL1 has a pop-up flash and the VF-3 does not interfere with it. I like the idea of the VF-3 getting its image from the sensor which means it accurately sees whatever lens you use, currently I have a legacy lens on mine, but find it awkward to use compared to integral EVF of my GH2. I also find the Olympus set-up strange compared to Panasonic's .... but I am getting to like it for use in automatic mode [apart from focus and aperture].</p>

<p>I use an VF2 with my E-PL1. Especially good in bright sunlight. Also, because it articulates, you can turn it up 90 degrees so you can look down to compose the shot like a waist level camera. This makes shooting low and for macro type shots and shooting pets and children easier than trying to see through the LED screen. You get down with your subjects. Also, for street shots, you can be more unobtrusive when shooting people since you aren't looking at them directly.</p>

<p>I tried out both the VF-2 and the VF-3 and went for the VF-2. It is more expensive but nicer to use. The cost difference is soon forgotten and photogpraphy is more fun with a more detailed and nicer viewfinder.<br>

I have since moved to the OM-D and that one is even better still.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I have since moved to the OM-D and that one is even better still."<br />I am considering such a move and would appreciate more detail.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The VF in the OMD seems to have a faster refresh rate and more pixels for a more detailed view. As someone who has come from a prism DSLR, it is the first EVF I have used that deosn't feel like a compromise. The VF-2 fell a little short for me though it is very good and perhaps I am being fussy.<br>

The OMD also has a eye detecting sensor so you can switch between EVF and LCD effortlessly, rather than pressing a button on the EVF.<br>

The OMD also has very good ergonmics and is well thought out, whereas I found the E-PL2 an exercise in frustration. Subtle differences to be sure but the OMD is a far more engaging camera to use. Image quality is really impressive.<br>

The flip out touch screen is handy for macro and also to quickly locate a point to focus on and shoot.<br>

Just do it Harold. You won't regret it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...