Another Mamiya 7 mystery - solved!?

gunter_caus

<p>Dear Mamiya 7 lovers,<br>

<br />I posted this thread a month ago in the medium format group, so maybe you saw it there before. But now I wanted to be sure that it would be read by all you M7 owners ...<br>

http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00b8Fn<br>

Conclusion:<br>

It is confirmed now that the flex cable inside the lens is actually defective!<br>

Quote from the technician: <em>I think it happens on 65mm because customers use it more than the others or don't use it at all, cause all kind of flex cables used in compact digital cameras and lens with Zoom from Canon or other brands that mount on Canon, this problem happens all the time.</em><br>

<br />In the last 2 years, this technician fixed 14 cases like this, all related to the 65 mm lens. Does this mean that the much acclaimed finest lenses ever made start showing signs of the Achilles' heel!? My 65 mm lens does date from the earliest releases of the Mamiya 7, back in 1995. And in my case it has been used intensively with long periods in between of rest.<br>

<br />What's your opinion/feeling/experience ...?</p>

<p>For some reason, I can't get my message posted in the Mamiya 7 and 6 group. Nevertheless, as I'm writing this answer, I see the path mentioned correctly at the top of this thread: Community > Forums > Medium Format > Mamiya 7 and 6 > Another Mamiya 7 mystery ... <br>

Yet another mystery. Anyone from photo.net to explain this please?</p>

<p>I'm not sure how the forum software works but I'm inclined to think that all sub-groups under the Medium Format group are just filters. Posts all appear in the medium format group and if you click on the sub-group name in the header it just filters out everything except those posts related to the sub-group name.</p>

<p>Well, the thing is Jim, I posted it in the Mamiya 6 and 7 group, but it never appeared there. It went straight down one level to the Medium Format group. Thanks for thinking loud with me. I still hope someone from photo.net will have a look at it.<br /> <br />Thanks for the effort Rob! I wonder however how many Mamiya 7 users actually visit the rangefinderforum. Honestly I don't expect many will, let alone they leave a score.<br /> Don't let this keep you from buying an M7! If you're a rangefinder adept, it's probably one of the cameras high on the list "not to miss".<br /> I'm just curious how long Mamiya will be able to deliver spare parts for their lenses. I assume long enough to survive film. On second thought, ... And apparently it's not just a standard cable. It needs to be ordered at Mamiya Japan. Then it will go to the US. And from there it will be shipped to Europe. For some reason Mamiya Japan doesn't deliver directly to Europe. At least that's what I've been told.</p>

<p>You have posted "up" one level, not down. Photo.net is divided into a number of forums, the Medium Format Forum is one of them. There are Categories within each forum. You have posted in the Medium Format Forum with an assigned Category of Mamiya 6/7. From the top level, you can look at the Medium Format Forum and see all the the recent posts. You can also click on one of the Categories on the right and find posts on a specific topic.<br>

<br />In general, users view by Forum. If they are looking for something specific, once they are in a forum, they can view by Category, but they cannot view by Category (such as Mamiya 6/7) from outside the forum.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the effort Rob! I wonder however how many Mamiya 7 users actually visit the rangefinderforum. Honestly I don't expect many will, let alone they leave a score.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are welcome! As to the probable number of respondents: I posted a poll over there on Hasselblad lenses, and got over a hundred responses (so far). And the Hasselblad isn't a rangefinder, while the M7 is. So we will see, over time.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>This is my first post on this great and helpful forum and I just wanted to tell you how relieved I am to have found this explanation. For the past 2 years, my 65mm has on/off not been able to exposes at all. It could be for a few shots mid-roll or beginning or end or not at all for a full roll. Other times, I would be fine. There was no pattern at all and I have had it in for repair at my local film camera guy who couldn't find the cause (he has been great with a lot of other cams). I knew it was the lens, as my two other lenses did not give me any trouble.<br>

This cam and lens has seen a lot of (ab)use and I have put +1000 rolls in this cam, the vast majority with the 65mm on it. Recently, I broke the curtain lever and I have had focus readjusted a 2-3 times after knocking it around.<br>

Nevertheless, I have used and loved this cam and I just need it to live on for one more year or so while I finish a project that I started on it. That said, I am pretty sure it will be retired after that. I have had all three incarnations of the Canon 5D and I can say that with the 5D3, I don't need the Mamiya any longer for the type of work that I mostly do. But that's another discussion.<br>

But Gunter, can I ask you a thing? How much did your repair end up being? And do you know if there are more than one flex cable in the lens? (I might have to order it myself).<br>

Best and thanks again, I am glad I popped by and finally found a solution to this!</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Dear David,<br>

<br /> Honoured to see you around!<br>

I apologize for my late reply, but after my initial problem to get this thread to the right group, I just discovered I haven't been notified of any replies for a while. Anyway, better late than never I suppose. <br /> I got an estimate for the repair of 90 euro. The technician's diagnose based on a description of the problem was correct, so I suppose that will not change. I must say that you need some patience though. I've sent my camera to a repair technician in Lisbon (Portugal). Apparently it takes nearly 10 weeks to get the spair parts to Europe, since Mamiya Japan doesn't deliver directly to Europe. They first send the parts to the US, and from there it goes to Europe. But I shouldn't complain, you know. I've seen other estimates that don't particularly cheer you up. I'm just happy it will be fixed for a reasonable price. <br /> That being said, I don't think you will be able to order these parts yourself, let alone you will be able to fix the lens! As far as I can see, there are 2 flex cables involved that only bend when the lens is focused, direction front to back, not circular. Here are some pictures ...<br>

<br /> Take Care,<br /> Gunter.</p><div>00bQb7-524119584.JPG.4ded61f4920db9c9dc72b85ced5a527d.JPG</div>