Which affordable wide angle lens for crop body

sanath_perera

Sanath, some additional information might be helpful. What is your budget? What other lenses do you own? What do you

photograph? How often do you wish to have a wider lens while out taking photographs? How often do you anticipate

using a wide angle?

If you only expect to use a wide angle sparingly, I'd go for the cheapest. If you expect to use one regularly, I'd wait and

save up for the 10-22 from Canon, personally. I had one until I went to full-frame, and it stands toe-to-toe with my 17-

40/4L in my opinion. But without some more information, it is hard to tell which would be best for YOU.

<p>I have had the Tokina 12-24 for a couple of years now, and really enjoyed it. Sturdy construction. I like the clutch mechanism for transitioning from manual to auto focus. Exhibits some CA, but that's pretty common among lenses of this ilk. Can't recommend it enough.</p>

<p>Few people will have actually shot with all three, but there are tests at Photozone.de.</p>

<p>I have the older Sigma 10-20mm and been very happy with it, so happy that I bought the equivalent "full-frame" Sigma lens for my 35mm sensor cameras.</p>

<p>I used to have the EF-S 10-22, and sold it, purchasing a Tamron 10-24 to replace it. While I haven't shot with either the Sigma, or the Tokina, I can say without reservation that the Tamron 10-24 is every bit as good as the Canon 10-22 throughout equivalent FLs. The only advantage the EF-S 10-22 had was the FTM USM, though obviously that's not a particularly big deal at these FLs.</p>

<p>An additional benefit to the lens (and the only reason I still own it) is that it mounts on FF units, and can be used with little to no vignetting throughout much of it's FL (~14.5->24mm)</p>

<p>I have owned Sigmas 10-20, 8-16 (and FF 12-24)<br /> The 10-20 has excellent IQ low distortion (for w/a) can take 77mm filters. its a very practical and usable lens<br /> $500 or less<br /> The 8-16 goes crazy wide, more so than than the 2mm shorter focal length suggests. its sharpness and distortion is surprisingly good considering the uw is the widest zoom on the market for APS sensors. You can't fit filters and wont need 8mm very often; but its fun to use and you can get dramatic perspective.<br /> $700 approx or less<br>

The 12-24 is a bit off budget but it gives excellent results on full frame and APS </p>