Nikon d7000 w 24-70 2.8 vs D600 w 24-85 kit

jesus_zendejas

Back to the drawing board.

I decided to sell my gear to buy a 24-70 2.8 with the D7000

Now that I have seen another deal in Adorama with 900 in savings I see a better option for me but maybe not the best.

Main reason I didn't want a D600 was the sync port but there is a hot shoe adapter for that that I discovered today and the 1/200 sync

speed. I had the D300 and I miss the extra features such as 9 exposure bracketing (yes i like HDR and I do post) the light meter on top

LCD the 51 focus points so I was hoping once I moved to fx I would consider a similar camera. D800 may be an option but Not high on my list.

I do want to focus in studio strobes but it got a little trouble with my new born. She doesn't like flash very much so I will have to keep

working on that and/or use natural light as much as possible (2 month old). She will be my subject for the next 3 months and hopefully all

of next year ill try to improve in studio work.

However looking at the new offer I could sell some of my gear including

The 24-85 kit and the d7000 camera and the two lenses 24-85(sold to include lowered price) and 24-70 with D600 it would Cost me under 1000.

Selling my gear and keeping the d7000 it would cost me around 400 for the 25-70.

My only remorse would be selling the sigma 150mm 2.8 if I didn't go with the D600

I know there is no easy solution to my dilemma.

I been circuling over and over to justify my initial purchase of the 24-70 2.8 and that is easy decision because its a better lens for all

around my work.

I enjoy very much landscape work and goin FX would be a good choice for details.

Anybody that can help me that would be appreciate.

Going over my library work I saw I used from 10-70mm on most of my pictures.

I would sell any of the following :

D7000

Nikon 35mm 1.8g

Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G VR

Nikon SB-800

Nikon SC-29 coiled remote cord

Sigma 150mm 2.8 EX APG DG HSM

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Looking over my photos I realized how much I enjoy capturing Candids, landscapes cars and portraits using natural light. I want to do flash because I

may be workig with some make up artists next year and I don't plan on doing any weddings for the moment. Simply hobby and portraits

for hire and work on my portfolio. I would also like to start selling some of my work in a gallery/art fair or even make calendars for 2014

<p>I think you are making it a bit more complicated for yourself. From your galleries, I think you'd be fine with a FX or DX camera. A d300s upgrade (if there is one) seems perfect for you, from what you said but either the d600 or d7000 would do alright. Congratulation on the new born, and good luck with whatever decision you end up making... </p>

<p>Your D7000 is a fine camera. The 24-70 is stellar. One issue I will take with you. DO NOT sell your SB-800 unless you have SB-900. You need it very badly and if you don't think you need it, it is because you do not know enough about it. If you master this flash it will take your photography to another level.</p>

<p>You are not ready for studio strobes until you have mastered your SB-800. With light modifiers you could use it and not need studio strobes at all. Add another one, a couple of stands and those modifiers you will take your portraiture toa whole new level. Please take a seminar on flash photography before you buy any lighting. I will tell you this. There is not a single professional who would ever be without a high quality flash either on their camera or in their pocket. </p>

<p>Leslie yes I make things very complicated (my wife reminds me on a constant basis) and thank you.<br>

Rick Thank you for reminding me the importance of the sb-800 on my last 3 shoots that flash came in very handy<br>

1. Hair light for the baby photos 2. pregnancy photos- great location at sunset but under trees so flash was important. 3. CD album for a musician the flash saved me. Despite asking the artist to re-schedule for a sunny day it worked out on the gloomy day because he was going for a vintage look. While it was raining we were under a bridge and the flash helped make the back cover. His album title is " one new road". I uploaded 2 and 3 into single album in the gallery here.</p>

<p>I uploaded more car photos to the cars folder those where taken with the d300 and 9 bracketing shots and post HDR.<br>

<br />I used to have more equipment 2 sb-800 more lens and d300 but I sold it to help with buying a house (down payment)<br>

This year 2012 We had awesome news we where expecting a Baby, had a photo gallery and was hired to do a CD Album and most Important the birth of our Daughter.<br>

Besides those good events the rest of the year was very bad 1 car accident on the day of the gallery, several deaths in the family, pregnancy complications, our dog was ran over and i witnessed it, several Emergency room visits for me and wife and we almost lost my sister.<br>

So this year has been a trying year. While I'm currently not a Professional Photographer as its is not my main source of Income I would like to continue doing professional photography. I would like to retire into photography or practice enough to continue being my second job.<br>

Next year I want to focus on my social, customer and business communication. Now that I have a baby I have less time to do everything. That is the main reason I want to just focus in studio work.<br>

<br />Rick I read and have read articles, magazines, youtube videos, practice and practice probably since 2003 and have mostly learned as I go. I learn new tricks every day and try to learn from my past photography. <br>

<br />I did however buy some alien bees b800 gear. In the singles album the couple in black and the one girl with purple was taken in studio. <br>

I do find strobe/flash to be challenging in the terms of getting exactly what you envision needs proper planning. I will continue to read and follow up on flash photography.<br>

<br />To make this long story short. I just want to make a good decision to continue growing before I start advertising again.<br>

Feel free to visit my site www.vipmediastar.com I'm currently re-designing the theme and having my Logo redone/cleaned up by dec 31st. Jan 1st I'll be proceeding with my plans.<br>

<br />I think I made up my mind. I will keep the sb-800 sell everything else and sell the the 150mm after I have the 24-70 and make a decision from there.<br>

Sometimes talking to other peers helps one make a decision.</p>

<p>thanks,</p>

<p>JZ</p>

<p>Just to say, I've been extremely happy with my 150mm Sigma macro (OS) on my D800 (except when the autofocus failed) - the non-OS predecessors is apparently equally good. Don't rule out the benefits of close-ups with a small child. In contrast, the 24-70 sample images Nikon provided with the D800 launch didn't impress me all that much, possibly due to field curvature. YYMV, but I'd not necessarily ditch the 150mm in favour of the 24-70 without checking them out.</p>

<p>Then again, my 150mm was a response to "my 80-200 isn't all that hot at short distances on the D800 and has some LoCA, my 200 f/2 doesn't focus close and is too big to take on holiday and my 90mm macro has an inconveniently short working distance and LoCA issues". I never really felt the need for a mid-range zoom, though my 28-200's behaviour on the D800 might make me reconsider it (or get my old 28-85 out of the cupboard). If you spend a lot of time with a mid-range zoom and don't use a big macro much, you may have different priorities.</p>