camera cheap from someone who was planning to sell to B&H. They sold

it to me for about what B&H offered. $400 is about the most I can

spend. Any suggestions on where to find a good 135 or 150mm lens? I

do landscape photgraphy mainly. I currently use a Mamiya C220. I am

considering only newer lenses like Rodenstock APO Sironar N and S,

Schneider APO Symmar, Nikon, Fuji. It seems like these lenses are hard

to find lately. I have been looking at B&H, Adorama, KEH, MPEX and

Ebay for a few months. KEH had a good selection when I didn't have

the money. Are there any others I should look at?

Darrell Harmon

I forgot that I just ordered a new tripod head from B&H in calculating that $400. My purchase will have to wait until after Christmas. I got the new Bogen/Manfrotto 329 and some sheet film and other stuff. My old tripod head wasn't really even strong enough for my heavy Mamiya C220 with a flash bracket. Maybe I can give it a few more weeks and get a new Caltar II-N. They are currently $500 and the website even lists the brand as Rodenstock. I have read that they are APO Sironar N's. I would have thought these would be easier to find used, but I have not seen many. Or if I am really lucky find a used APO Sironar S.

Yes, I have considered G Clarons but I want f/5.6.

I hadn't seen the used section at Badger. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Thanks for the replies.

Darrell Harmon

Darrell, are you opposed to vintage glass? A 135 WF Ektar, baby brother to the 10" WF of AA fame might serve you well. They go for $210--240 in working shutters. You might even find a Dagor, a coated Ilex, or Wollensak well within your price range. Try Igor's, Equinox(Mike's Place), and Lens and Repro has a lens bank page with some really funky stuff, just make sure you get a good working shutter(or its dirt cheap, in which case you can send it to S.K.Grimes and you'll KNOW it wil work when you get it back!)---Cheers!

Darrell,

Keep checking Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com), or better yet, call there and ask for Jim. He will give you good advice. They have some 135mm and 150mm lenses in your price range from Rodenstock, Nikon and Schneider. They don't show any on the web, but they often have used Fujinon's in these focal lengths. Jim is a straight shooter and will describe his lenses to you in perfect detail. Very accurate, perhaps even conservative grading of used lenses. Highly recommended.

Another good source is Photomark in Arizona (www.photomark.com). Ask for Rod. He is also a straight shooter, although I have not yet had the opportunity to buy from him.

A few other good sources. Quality Camera in Atlanta, The F-Stops here in the Chicago area, and Lens and Repro in NY. If he has lenses in stock, Chuck Farmer (www.charlespfarmerphotography.com) is also a straightforward guy.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck with the 45NX.

I agree with David. Call Jim at Midwest Photo-614-261-1264. Tell him that you saw the referral on the large format forum. He will give you the best deal. He will return from Japan a week from tomorrow. Consider the Fuji 135 CM-W, or the Nikon 150W. Both, under $400. Midwest has a much better selection of newer used lenses than any of the other dealers mentioned.

Darrell, I have to cast my vote for the Wide Field Ektar. I very much like the quality of the image I get with the ones I have. I use 100mm and 135mm versions on my 4x5, and would love to get a 250mm for my 8x10 (these are typically much more expensive). They are not as sharp and contrasty as my 203 Ektar, and probably not as sharp and contrasty as modern multicoated lens (I haven't used modern lens, so I can't compare), but they are sharp, have good contrast, and make good color images as well. I've found that different lenses (of different design)have a different "character" or "personality" that affect the image you get, and you apply a particular lens character to the image you want to create. Anyway, that's what I tell myself to justify buying a new lens. Good luck.

Eugene mentioned the Fujinon CMW. These are by all reports very fine lenses. If you are looking for a very nice used lens, also consider the Fujinon W. This is the predecessor to the the CMW Eugene mentioned. I bought a used 125mm f/5.6 "W" from Jim and love it. You would get a very nice lens for a lower price than a used or new CMW. Another good option is a Rodenstock Sironar-N. These should be identical to the current APO-Sironar-N lenses, but available at a lower price.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the responses. I tried to buy a Nikkor W 135 from MPEX, but it was already sold when I called to buy it. I found an APO Sironar N 150/5.6 at KEH in LN- condition and bought it for $429. It was slightly over my budget, but I think it will be worth it. I am excited to start shooting LF. I am planning to go shoot some this weekend.