Tripod advice: Sirui/Vanguard system versus Velbon

david_freed

<p >I lost my much used Velbon tripod with Manfrotto QR system when I left it on top of my car as I drove away. I now want to replace it. I’m looking at either:<br>

Sirui T-1205X Carbon Fiber Tripod with a Vanguard GH-100 Pistol-Grip Ballhead for about $380 total;<br>

Or a . . . Velbon UT 45L 6-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ PHD-42Q 4-Way Head for about $200.<br>

The Velbon is lighter, only 2.75lbs versus 3.5 lbs for the other, but I’m thinking that the Sirui/Vanguard system will be sturdier, hold more weight if needed, and the max. and min. heights are a bit more. I like the idea of the pistol grip adjustment as well.</p>

<p >Any thoughts on these choices? Best, David.</p>

<p>David - I'm afraid I can't vouch for the Sirui, but I'm always a bit dubious about pistol grip heads (though I admit that this style is nicer than the "camera on the end" type). I've always felt that, with the head loosened, I can point the camera where I want by using the grip on the camera (and sometimes lens) - extraneous bits on the tripod just get in the way. Not that I have any particular reason not to like the Vanguard, but I'd check it's actually going to be useful over a conventional ball head. Pistol grip heads are cool, but that's not a reason to buy one (says a man who's just ordered something expensive from Arca-Swiss).<br />

<br />

What camera/lenses are you considering?<br />

<br />

My limited experience with tripods has been that there's no substitute for going to a store, setting them up, and trying to wobble them. I went in expecting a Manfrotto 055XProB to be what I wanted, since I didn't care much about the weight of aluminium, but it turned out that the carbon fibre version - 055CXPro3 - was obviously so much more rigid that I though it worth the premium. Besides, you may find one fits your hands better. Tripods and bags I buy in person; everything else I buy on-line.</p>

<p>The Velbon looks like a very poor choice. Stability is usually inversely related to the number of leg section. The 4-way pan head is questionable. It relies on extending the center column to achieve eye-level viewing, something that will prove to be unstable. I have owned the Velbon Maxi and it was terrible. With an SLR mounted the panning head always drooped. It did not last long, one of the legs collapsed, perhaps out of boredom.<br>

I don't know anything about Sirui tripods. I just caution you to think about buying a real tripod. Do not fall into the same pit that I did, buying several really cheap ones. There is a big difference when you have a real tripod and a good ball head. The legs should allow useful elevation without raising the center column, as this destroys stability. In addition to the legs you should consider a custom mounting plate and ball head. The mounting plate secures the camera to the tripod clamp. If you merely rely on the screw to fix the camera to the head it is difficult avoid the camera rotating on the screw, particularly with a zoom lens. If there is wobble in the clamp or mount you will not get sharp pictures.<br>

You should get a head with an Arca -Swiss style clamp, allowing for rigid mounting and unmounting of the camera.<br>

A good tripod can make a huge difference in your photography. There are some that argue that you must spend a fortune on a tripod or whatsis will fall off. I argue that going real cheap is not economical; the stingy man pays many times. I can recommend Feisol and Gitzo tripods. Feisol is much less expensive but not $200 cheap.</p>