Which to choose for Weddings 1Ds mk iii used or 5D mk ii New

mathew_gardella

<p>I am looking to upgrade camera bodies and am looking for some "real world" advice. I am working as a second shooter and sometimes as the primary shooter for weddings and am looking to upgrade a 5D body. My choices are a used 1Ds mk iii or a new 5D mk ii. I shoot with a 24-70L and a 50 or 85mm prime mostly. I have not used either camera and so I am looking for suggestions from those pro's that have used or are currently using the above bodies and why you think they are the best tool for the job. Thanks in advance...</p>

<p>If you have to have full frame I like the 1DS III if for nothing else because it has dual card slots. The 5D II may have a slight edge on high ISO because the 1DS III is only native to ISO 1600 (then becomes H), but not having a backup memory card for a wedding makes me a nervous wreck. The 1DS also has a better AF system and can handle more abuse. The 1D IV is a great wedding camera as well, but it's not full frame and if you were going to spend that money it would be better spent on a 5D3. So for me, first choice is 5D3, but since that wasn't an option I'd go with the 1DS III. I also like the vertical grip.</p>

<p>I have only played with the 1D's. Built rugged, etc., but I have used my 5D2 in many a downpour, dusty, had it fall once or twice, all with no ill-effects. I am not sure you need all that camera physically. It has a great AF system, but in my experience, once you understand the 5D2's limitations and how to work around them, it is a stunningly good camera!</p>

<p>I would try them both out before making the decision though. And preferably in a 'real' shooting situation rather than just in a store...</p>

<p>For weddings, given a choice between the 2, a 1Ds3 any day. I might combine that w/ a 5D2 as a low light or portrait shooter, but the reliability factor totally goes to the 1, which at a wedding is of critical importance.</p>

<p>Now that said, I shoot weddings w/ 5D2s, and will continue to do so until they make a 5D with actual improved IQ, I've not had a failure from either yet, and shot in some very nasty weather - but never count on luck!</p>

• 11 months later...