Advice on Epson "art" paper types

<p>Hi all,<br>

I just bought an Epson R2000 and am very confused about the relative properties of the myriad of Epson specialty photo papers. I am familiar with glossy and luster papers, but not these "art" papers. The Epson website didn't offer much help. Can any of you suggest what types of images are best printed on:<br>

canvas satin vs matte<br>

vs<br>

watercolor radient white<br>

vs<br>

"hot" vs "cold" press paper<br>

vs<br>

velvet fine art vs ultrasmooth fine art<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>It's less about what sort of images can be printed on each than it is what sort of look you're after, how the image will be dislayed/handled, etc.<br /><br />I'd recommend spending a few dollars on some Epson samples, just to get them physically in your hand. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Epson-8-5x11-Sample-Signaure-Different/dp/B004BFKGYK"><strong>Like this</strong></a>, just as an example.<br /><br />I've never used (or felt the urge for) their canvas products, but have used their VFA and cold/hot press papers. They each have different amounts of "tooth" to the paper, and the "bright" papers are definitely highly whitened. Samples are by far your best way to understand the subtle differences between the products. I print happily on VFA and cold press bright, but don't as much like the ultrasmooth, and find the watercolor paper to be pretty highly textured for most photographic purposes. It's all a matter of taste, of course.</p>

<p>Thanks Matt,<br>

So for example if I were to be printing a landscape w a lot of "texture" (eg leaves, bark, rocks etc.), then a textured paper (canvas or velvet or other matte finish) would likely be a good choice. Whereas a photo needing lots of sharpness (eg a portrait) or shiny surfaces might be better w a non-textured paper? Are the differences in Hot vs Cold press to do with how the paper is mounted for display, or is it the whiteness values?<br>

I will try a sample pack as you suggest, but I welcome any other suggestions RE the relationship between image type and paper type.</p>

<p>Like Matt said, get a sample pack of paper from Epson. You will be able to handle and print on each paper type and determine what is best for each specific type of print. Hot and cold press are fine art matte finishes, they both come in a bright or natural finish. Hot press is smooth where the cold press is more textured. It's like chocolate and vanilla or even pistachio, it's really just about choices and personal preferences. For all around general use I really like Epson's Ultra Premium Luster.</p>

<p>I don't think anybody mentioned it yet, but satin is usually a midway, a compromise between gloss and matte. Personally I feel that there are better papers, if you want to experiment with art papers that is, there are better papers out there. I have printed on all of the above that you have mentioned, they came free with my printer (3800) But Hahnemuhle is excellent and in my opinion is worth much more than the epson papers. Canson are good, very good. But Hahnemuhle have a much more pleasant range of papers, I found that Epson's velvet fine art was darn awful, a waste of time, and their matte is not my taste either. If you want to experiment, you can get a free sample from hahnemuhle. Just be nice, explain what you are doing and that you would like a sample pack of...and name about five papers. I doubt that epson will do this, although I have never tried, but I doubt it. Canvas papers use up a lot of ink, a big amount, and matt papers use more ink than gloss, just in case you did not know. Don't know if anything here is helpful, just thought I would butt into the conversation.</p>