Tele Zoom Lenses for D5100

anil_m

<blockquote>The 70-300 VR would be an awesome lens for that camera.</blockquote>

<p>It would, but it's also much more expensive than the AF 70-300 that I believe we're discussing here.<br />

<br />

The 55-300 is a good budget choice.<br />

The 70-300 VR is a higher-performing option if you can afford it.<br />

The 70-300 non-VR is likely to be very frustrating on a D5100 because of the manual focus.</p>

<p>The Nikon 55-300 VR will also AF on your D5100. The 55-300 VR is smaller and lighter. I've had both. The 55-300 VR is a little sharper wide open at 300mm. The 70-300 VR has a more rugged build and focuses faster.</p>

<p>The Tamron 70-300 VC is very sharp and is priced between the two Nikons. Only consider the VC version. You can save some money on the 70-300 VR by getting a used or refurbished one. Check keh.com, B&H, and Adorama.</p>

<p>Anil, what will you use it for? If AF speed is essential, perhaps you need the 70-300 VR. I got the 55-300 when I had the D80. It was usable at an air show, but I would have felt more comfortable with faster AF. I now use a D7000 and never once though about its AF speed when I took pictures at an indoor horse jumping event.</p>

<p>Not only is the 55-300 the cheapest of the Nikkors, it is also the best for close ups. Moreover, it is the smallest (which makes it great for travel photography).</p>