90mm f5.6 angulon

miesnert

<p>Hi guys,<br>

I am new to large format, I have just received my first large format camera; a Wista 45 VX with a Nikon 180mm W lens. I am looking for a Fujinon W 135mm, and was thinking about a 90mm as well to complete my lens set for now. I'd like to get something wider and something longer later on. I mainly photograph kind of abstracted city-/landscapes (I am going to shoot more stuff like this with it: www.sandermeisner.nl). The main reason I've got it is perspective control and larger prints.<br>

I want to be able to use the 90mm with perspective correction, I have seen a lot of Schneider Angulons for sale cheaply, but they only cover 4x5. Will I be able to put buildings straight with this lens without vignetting if I use back movements?<br>

And, I can buy a 90mm Angulon f5.6 for 100 euro's. I have tried to google this, I can find a 6.8 and a 8.0 angulon, But no 5.6 angulon, If it is a 90mm Schneider lens and f5.6 does it have to be a super-angulon or are there also 5.6 non super angulons made?<br>

<br />Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi<br>

I use an older SSA 121mm and I never run out of space. This lens is made for 5x7 so think about it as WA but you just use a center of the lens with the best performance. Plenty of space for movments. For your info I almost all the time use a one step up lenses in all my cameras. All my lenses are designed for 5x7 for 4x5 camera and all of it cover 11x14 on my 8x10.</p>

Thanks for the responses.

I am going to have a look at the lens and maybe buy it, hopefully he made a mistake and it is a super angulon, that, or he made a mistake

and it is a 6.8 or 8.0, which is still a fair price I suppose, would it allow me movements for perspective correction if it is a normal angulon?

<p>Thanks.<br>

All the work on my website was done with medium format camera's, Fuji rangefinders (ga645, gsw) and Mamiya TLR's (I love the 105mm D for it) and RZ67's.<br>

I have sold my RZ67 set and am keeping the rangefinders, together with the 4x5 the ga645 will not add to much weight and bulk to my bag, it seems like a nice combination, as easy to carry as my RZ67 with lenses was.<br />In the future I hope to replace the ga645 with a Voigtlander Bessa III.</p>

<p>As Dan says, the 90mm Angulon allows for minimal movement, but I found that for many architectural and landscape subjects, minimal movement is all that is required. However, old 90mm Angulons are prone to separation of the elements after so many years, and the shutter, if an original, can die at any moment. Thus was the demise of mine. All that is useful is the TechnikaIII lens board. I will not get another Angulon unless very cheap. </p>

<p>Thanks, I will take the camera with me (the seller is on holiday and will come back in two weeks) to see if it fits.<br>

I did read something about unscrewing the rear element and screwing this back on trough the back of the camera after removing the ground glass, altough this seems like a hassle to me.</p>

<p>"If I am thinking of the right lens, the 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon has a large rear element that may not fit through the opening in the front standard of cameras that use Linhof-type lensboards. Try before you buy."<br>

That is the 90mm Super Angulon XL. Schneider has modified the rear group so you can make it narrower by unscreing a ring in the back of the rear group. Then it will fit through the hole of a camera with a Technika type board. But don't place it down on the rear group with that ring removed as you will scratch the glass.<br>

The Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N MC fortunately does not have this problem and is brighter and faster as it is a 4.5 rather then a 5.6. It does not need a recessed board on a Technika type camera where the SA does.</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>Actually, the angle of view of the old 6.9 90mm Angulon increases quite a bit at very small apertures, that is at least f32. So you get some rise out of this lens for architecture shooting, albeit at the price of increased softness due to diffraction at this small opening. </p>