Totally OT, but who cares?

phill kneen

I know this has nothing to do with Leica ( or even stills photography

come to think of it ).

I have recently started doing a bit of filmmaking and bought a couple

of Bolex 16mm cameras ( a 1955 H16 and a late H16 EBM ). I am having

trouble finding tips and advise on using 16mm film. Is there anyone

who has used Bolex cameras or knows of any good sites ? ( a search

only seems to turn up places that sell them ).

I'm sorry for such a way-off topic question. ( they do say that Bolex

are the Leica of the cine world though ! )

Maybe you could contact me direct. pyranha69@manx.net

It's funny actually, I've been to a couple of filmmaking forums and the questions are-

' which lens is best, 10-100 or 16-100mm ? '

' should I buy the sony PD150 or the Canon XL1s ? '

' which magazine size is best, 100 or 400 feet ? '.........

Mmmmmm, heard those questions somewhere else ?! ;0)

From my filming days (admittedly about 10 years ago now) the Macro-Switar 18-86 was one of the best zooms you could get for 16mm. Popular on both Bolex and Arriflex I coupled that with a 10mm Switar for most of my filming. On older non-reflex Bolex's Pan-Cinor 17.5-70 zooms were popular, primarily because they had a reflex periscope that worked quite well, though the lens was no match for the Switar.

I'm not into digital myself but I have seen quite a few BBC and Discovery Channel documentaries that were filmed with the Canon XL1 and it is definitely considered broadcast quality. As for the 100/400' mag question it's a tossup. I found more misloads with the 400' magazines, but jeez, at 24 fps (for sound) that 3 minutes that the 100' mags lasted sure went by fast. A question Andy...are you going to edit on film, or transfer to video and edit on video?

Well Bob, I'm just shooting the raw footage, my friend Ned is doing the technical bits. I think we will just do a basic edit on film and then transfer to video to do the full edit........what the hell am I talking about?

As I said, I'm just shooting what the director tells me too!

I mention the editing because I found it the costliest 'hard money' part of filming. Even a basic edit on film will run like this (remember these are 10 year old prices, for B&W and in Canadian currency). Processing of neg stock (you'll not get around this) - $.30/ft...A&B roll prints (for rough edit you need two copies because of all the cutting you'll do, BTW you never cut your original), another $.30 cents a foot each roll, final two light rough cut (gives some density/color correction $.60 cents a foot. I found it cheaper and easier to make two inexpensive VHS window dubs (most dupe labs will do this for next to nothing). A window dub has the frame # on each video frame in a little box...with a freeze frame machine you just dot down the frame # where you want your edits. If you can borrow a couple of VHS decks and run them into a third for recording you can sit in the comfort of your living room and do you basic editing. I could actually go on at lenght about this Andy...if you need any more info contact me at my email, I've also got some hard copy info you might find useful. I could scan it and email it or PDF it to you.