D800 video

chris cornwell blog

<p>I just received a new D800 and simply can't figure out the VIDEO function. I have been using a D700 for several years and all the other functions are easy to understand. Yes, I have a read the manual (D800) on HOW TO get started with video. But, the video file i recorded is almost 'black' like the exposure is all wrong. Sound recorded just fine. I snapped an image first with proper exposure and then switched to live view to record. Am I missing a step or two? PLEASE help!! Thanks!</p>

<p>FYI - the setting you set for the 'still' camera do not transfer over to video, which may be why you are experiencing an issue.</p>

<p>When you push the LV button, the monitor will display the image along with the shooting mode, shutter speed and aperture. When you slide the lever surrounding the LV button from still to video or from video to still, the values will change depending on how they are set. But it appears they work independent of each other.</p>

<p>I just bought a D800 (used but like new) two days ago. I checked a little yesterday and today. I checked also video.<br>

Not problem about exposure. So, I don't understand why you have exposure problems. The video exposure of my D800 is simpy perfect. Are you shure that is working?<br>

Of course, autofocus with video is very very slow (I mounted only AFD lenses, so not lenses with internal motor).<br>

I think that for video I have to think different respect a normal videocamera (I have Panasonic TM300 videocamera fullHD). With D800 for video I have to think before where is the point of focus and don't pretend the fast autofocus. Is a different concept. The result for video is very good (better than my Panasonic videocamera), but is more difficult to got good videos.</p>

<p>I got my D800 back in May but never got around to trying out the video until last week, didn't read the manual just worked it out from the controls on the camera. Switch Live View lever to the Video setting, this allows you to first of all see what you will get in Video as top and bottom of each image are cropped into a panoramic format. To start recording when you have your composition right just press the red button on top right of the camera.</p>

<p>Saying that, it only worked with my 28mm f1.8g lens, I tried to do the same scene with an older 20mm AIS lens and got just a black screen. Not sure, but might be the case that the Video function doesn't work in the same way with manual lenses which the camera cannot directly control the aperture settings for.</p>

<p>Image quality was very good, tempted to get an external microphone some time to get proper stereo sound, this could be addictive. I enjoyed watching autumn leaves fall in clouds on Saturday morning, much more interesting on Video than just a still image of the same scene.</p>