Acratech GP-s Ballhead vs RRS BH-30 LR II Ballhead

kirsten_s

<p>I've never had a Ballhead and I'm trying to decide between an Acratech GP-s Ballhead and a RRS BH-30 LR II Ballhead.<br>

Acratech GP-s Ballhead:<br>

I like that the GP-s can be flipped upside down so you don't have to worry about getting your tripod legs level to get a panorama shot. What problems would arise if I just left it upside down (even if I'm not shooting panoramas) rather than continuously switching it around? Would it be awkward to work with?<br>

RRS BH-30 LR II Ballhead:<br>

If I got the BH-30 Ballhead, I'd also get the FEISOL PB-70 Panning Base because I have trouble getting my tripod legs level in certain situations. With this option, the Ballhead would not be upside down.<br>

If anyone has any advice, I would REALLY appreciate it!!</p>

<p>I would like to be able to tell you I've used them all, but the ONLY ball head I have is the Acratech. All I can say is that it is solid, but still only about a pound in weight. I don't think I would leave it upside down all the time as I don't think it is as stable that way. More of the mass is up in the air. Not that it feels unstable that way, but it can't be as rock solid as it would be the normal way. It's a darn handy feature, like the "gimble" setting. For me it was the ability to do these to extra things, should the need arise, that sold me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Kirsten,</p>

<p>I have the Acratech GP (since it came out several years ago), not the GPs, I use it upside down the vast majority of the time, I shoot a lot of real estate and architecture so need a level camera and it is great, there are no real disadvantages to using it that way all the time, well I haven't encountered any.</p>

<p>I can't recommend the Acratech heads enough, they are superbly made, innovative, light, durable, they just work! </p>

<p>I have the Acratech GP-s. As both John and Scott mention, it is a lightweight, easy to use, solid ballhead. It's my favorite when hiking and weight is a concern. My only real complaint is it is a finger pincher when moving your tripod with camera attached if the head is not securely locked with a heavy lens. A little more weighty, but by far my favorite when shooting heavier lenses, is the Arca-Swiss Z1 dp. Mine has the flip lock clamp and additional panning base on top of the ballhead. It stays locked even with a big lens. And no pinched fingers.</p>