How do the X-pro hybrid OVF and x-e1 EVF work in the real world?

karenf

<p>Hi. I have only just started looking at the mirrorless forum. While hanging about waiting for new Nikon dslr offerings, Ive been keeping my eye on the mirrorless front. The IQ, low-light capabilities and weight factor, have me interested in the Fujis and I'm currently trying to decide between the Fuji X-Pro 1 and the X-e1. I'm quite excited about getting either. I understand that the main difference between the 2 in question, apart from smaller size of the and built-in flash of the x-e1 and better LCD screen on the x-pro1, is the hybrid viewfinder vs EVF only. I am trying to understand how the two viewfinders work in practice and what the benefits of both are. I've read people say they love the OVF of the x-pro 1 and others saying they now use the EVF more and more, and the x-e1 has the better EVF. I'm sure a lot probably depends on individual preference. If anyone has any views, experience and explanations on the benefits of each in real world situation, I'd love to hear them. Sadly, I'm not in the position to buy both and give them a work out to find out.</p>

<p>When my dslr FF camera and lenses started getting too heavy to carry about in European cities and when Ryanair imposed ever more stringent limits on plane baggage I bought a Fuji X100 and thereafter hardly used my dslr, even though the X100 is fixed lens. When the X Pro 1 appeared I got one for lens change facilities. Both these cameras have excellent OVF. The EVF comes into its own when using macro (when it switches to EVF automatically). It is also useful when you are anxious about focussing automatically at close distances. When using the X Pro 1 with non Fuji lenses (via an adaptor) I have to use manual focussing and then you have to use the EVF. But I have used Leica M cameras for years and am use to OVF. So when I am walking about grabbing street photos I use the OVF to compose, focus automatically and don't usually bother checking the screen. On the whole I prefer to use the OVF when I can. As you say, the low light capabilities of these cameras (both the X 100 and the X Pro 1) are outstanding and outperform the M8 and M9 at high ISO settings.</p>

<p>I use the x100; it has both OVF and EVF. I think that if someone has never used a rangefinder camera's OVF it wouldn't be missed. I, on the other hand, grew up with OVFs and I'm having a hard time adjusting to EVF. The optical finder is much brighter and natural looking. It is also better for me when shooting events because it reacts instantly to my change of framing. The EVF has just enough reaction lag to discombobulate me. However, I'm learning how valuable the EVF is for precise framing.<br>

I am slowly using the EVF more often.<br>

I face the usual ugly trade-off when deciding to add the X-pro or the X-E1. The X-Pro has both finders, but the X-e1 has an onboard flash. ( The flash on the X100 is an absolutely incredible fill lit. It is never wrong!) I will get one of these cameras soon. I look forward to other posters' opinions.<br>

John D.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have both the x100 and x pro-1. I really, really like the OVF option and wouldn't want the x-e1. The ability to see what's around the frame. If you're uncertain what's going to be in the frame (and want to avoid the paralax problem, you can quickly switch to the EVF).<br>

The lack of onboard flash is unfortuate. I agree that the x100 flash is excellent</p>

<p>Despite the few problems with the EVF, the advantages compensate and I feel sorry for those still using OVF, either the ground glass kind or the other sort. Apart from the rare play with my APS-C I have not used an OVF for must be nearly a decade now :-) Dinosaurs are extinct because they couldn't adapt.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses. I'm thinking the OVF would be lovely to experiment with but not something I'd worry too much about.<br>

Anyway, it's nice to get a new camera but all the hoo-ha you have to try and get your head around to hopefully finally reach the right decision is not something I enjoy. And just when I thought I had decided on the fuji x-e1 (because of price, size and in-built flash, better EVF), the NEX 6 comes into frame. Truly... it's like being in some photography themed nightmare.</p>

<p>Depending on which eye you use and the position of the VF on the camera it is quite possible to use one eye to time the action and the other to frame with. I started doing this when a child kept closing his eye, mimicing me as I did his home portrait :-) I guess OVF users do this when the image gets rather dark?<br>

Fun dog shot you have there :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Karen<br>

I woudl recommend getting either the x100 or xpro1 and trying it for a while - if yoiu buy it used yoiu can sell it for what you pay for it. It's the only way to really see if the OVF is important to your style. I've found that not having an optical viewfinder just dosn't work for me. You may find that you depend on the electronic viewfinder so getting the xe1 woould make sense.</p>