F100 Repair Success

wogears

<p>I have successfully replaced the broken aperture follower on my F100. It was a LOT more work than I had expected. Toughest parts: getting the front apron off (you have to remove top and bottom covers); hooking the (microscopic) loop on the return spring around its equally minuscule post; keeping all the screws in order. Part I sort of messed up: Putting the rubber grip back on. Not a disaster, but I could've done better. Some snowy day, I will fix it.</p>

<p>Lesson learned: Camera repair persons are worth every cent they charge.</p>

<p>You done good! A friend of mine stopped in yesterday with one of his two F100 bodies with a 24mm F2.8AFD lens on it after having been to a local dog walk in the park. He placed the camera on the dining room table and the back opened a little. We could not get it to snap closed so we rewound the film. He said that was his second roll of the day. We finally could see that, on the camera back, the upper and lower plastic was snapped off of the latch lever part that is located there. Plastic parts=Bummer.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I just took my F100 into the shop for repair. I purchased the camera brand new back in 1999. The camera back wouldn't close on it and the camera remained on in the "Off" position. I attempted to purchase a new back on my own but found it impossible to do with the games going on by Nikon. Today I called up and found out a complete repair will cost me $180. I didn't consider that a bad price at all. </p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Les,<br>

I am in your same situation with my F100. Would you mind to share how you took the front apron off? In particular, why do you need to take the top cover off? That seems to me a pretty hard task, especially with the exposure selector on the side of the pentaprism housing. How did you managed to remove it? Is it screwed or just pressed on its axis? I could not find an F100 repair manual around. Thank you very much,<br>

Corrado</p>