<p>I am making the switch from lab printing to doing it myself. I'm trying to work out all the details in regards to proper workflow, and I am wondering what the best way to store prints is. There might be times before shows when I will need to print, mat, and frame many pieces at once. It's easiest for me to print everything all at once, then mat them all at once, etc.</p>

<p>What are some of the ways you store your prints in between being matted/viewed? Is it possible to stack them on top of each other in some sort of archival container? If stacking is ok, do the prints need time to dry out before being stacked?</p>

<p>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated,<br>

Thanks!</p>

Get a Flat File cabinet, a used one off eBay will be much better than a new one too, the old good ones last for years,

most are made of metal but the really nice ones are made of wood, they are a great piece of furniture to put a big printer

on as well.

Yes digital prints need to dry, it isn't so much the ink is wet, though initially it is, but the inks let off small amounts of gas

and if stacked this can warp the sandwiched prints. I forget Epsons recommendation but seem to recall about an hour or

two. After this prints can be stacked but most people will put a sheet of tissue paper or better yet, glassine paper,

between each print.

<p>There are several vendors that sell archival boxes that can be used for prints, matted or not, up to about 22x28 or so.</p>

<p>Epson actually recommends a 24 hour drying period for Ultrachrome prints before stacking or storing. I would assume that most of the manufacturers recommend the same. It can be very important to give the ink time to set up and gas out. I try to work with 24 hours but will sometimes push it by a couple without issue. I just print as many as I can store/hang unstacked on a given day. The next day, I start printing and then stack the prints from the previous day in the order they were printed as I print the new ones--replacing the older print's drying spot with the new print. That generally works out to a 24 hour drying time. (humidity and airflow will also affect your drying time, I think good circulation in a dry environment will allow more flexibility on the time than a more humid, still environment might.)</p>