Wet Camera and lens

photodiscoveries

<p>So, yesterday evening I was photographing 2 immature eagles from my back yard. So far, great. But I went inside, ate supper and got involved in a movie, fell asleep and went to bed. This morning I looked outside and saw my 7D and 500mm lens and tripod still outside where I left them on the river bank. They had participated in a 30 minute attack by my sprinkler system. The camera was still "on." I cut the power, dried the exterior of the lens and camera and put the caps on both. Took out the battery, and the compartment seemed almost dry except for a single drop of moisture at the top. The seal on the card compartment is wet, but the inside appears dry.Have not opened the flash compartment. The lens was pointing up on the tripod, and pointed away from the sprinkler head, and seems to be fine. Dried it off and took off lens hood. I can test the 500 for visible moisture on a second body. My guess is that i have already called myself every derogatory name in the dictionary, but I sure would welcome any thoughts or ideas before I turn things back on. </p>

<p>I would do what you have done, dry off, remove battery and card. Then I would leave the camera with the battery and card doors open for a few days in a warm dry place like an airing cupboard with as many bags of silica gel as I could find. Somewhere dust-free would be good too. If the inside looked dry I would leave a body cap in place and dry off the lens separately. If it looked wet or the insodes were steaming up then I would probably leave the body cap off too. Best of luck.</p>

<p>As Colin says, let it dry out before re-installing the battery.</p>

<p>In North America, Walmart sells silica gel to be used for drying flowers. I placed about 8 ounces in cloth bags made from cotton material. Putting the bags in a toaster oven at 250 degrees F for about an hour or so restores the gel to its dry state to be used again. A couple gel bags and a large ziplock bag should dry your camera over a 24 hour period. A sealable plastic box that will hold your 500mm lens and a couple bags will do the same for your lens. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>the body should be fine. I've shot with my 7d in crazy rain. whenever I drop my phone in something, I get a airtight jar and fill it with uncooked rice. i put the phone in it, and since rice sucks up moisture, it's helped me all 3 times I've dropped my phone. I don't know if this is the best thing to do with L glass...but just a tip!</p>

<p>Great idea with the rice, Will. I have used it on my iphone and it works. Seemed better on the camera body and lens to use the Silica Gel. Did go to Walmart and could not find it. So, went to Hobby Lobby and there it was. Got a big bag and put the lens in a plastic box with the silica gel under the lens covered by a cloth. Will leave it there till I need it again. the camera is in a 1 gallon plastic bag with Silica gel wrapped in cotton, under the camera. It comes out today sometime. Or perhaps tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I actually wrote an article about drying out lenses:<br>

<a href="http://aaronlinsdau.com/drying-out-soaked-lenses/">http://aaronlinsdau.com/drying-out-soaked-lenses/</a><br>

There are 2 tricks to it. Evaporation and absorption. Although it'll be tough to put your 500mm in a mug, you can come up with some creative ways to do it. The rice does work as a moisture absorber, but you have to wait a long time. In that time, the internal components will have time to corrode - something you're trying to avoid. So you also want to accelerate the drying process with warmth. For a lens that big, try the rice in a bag and put it in a sunny window. Free warmth you don't have to think about.<br>

The water spots are a whole other problem, though.</p>