Memory card recovery help needed!

<p>Hi there,<br>

I am currently trying to recover RAW pictures from my CF 32GB Sandisk Extreme UDMA card taken with a Canon 5D Mark iii. After I had taken the photos I copied them onto my Mac (command a and then dragged them into a folder I created). I have done this at least 1000 times before without any problems. For some strange reason now half of the photographs (wedding photos of a friend of mine :-( ) are missing. I find it odd that the last photo that I have on my computer has the number 9999.CR2 . After that I must have started at 0001.CR2 again.<br>

Now the sad part: Then I used the card again the following day. I formatted the card and pretty much used up 95% space of the 32 GB card. I tried various recovery programs i.e. StellaPhoenix and RescuePro without any luck.<br>

Do you have any recommendations on how to rescue photos from that formatted card? is there a way? Your help is highly appreciated!<br>

Many thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh I'm sorry to hear. Now this is in the mirrorless digital camera forum, I use Nikon, and a PC. Sounds like I couldn't be further away but it sounds like Canon and Nikon do the same thing. That thing is after picture 9999.</p>

<p>When Nikons reach picture 9999 it creates a new folder on the memory card and the pictures go into that new folder starting at 0001. When I plug the card in and the transfer wizard pops up it goes and transfers the 1st folder only. If I look at the folder and think... didn't I take more pictures? Then go back to the card and Oh! There's two folders in there the other with pictures 0001 and up so I transfer them manually. Been burned once because I get used to there being only 1 folder, and the transfer only looks in the first.</p>

<p>If you format the memory card and then used 95% there's no getting the data back I'm so sorry.</p>

<p>I have to agree with Mätt; once you've written over the old data, it's usually not recoverable.</p>

<p>I have used a program called <a href="Card Recovery">Card Recovery</a> to get photos off of an inadvertently-formatted card. (A friend forgot to download his images before formatting.) You can download the trial version and it will tell you whether it can recover images or not; then if you want to proceed, you have to pay $39.95 for the full version. This is at least better than purchasing a program and then finding out it won't recover your photos.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi Thomas,<br>

Sorry to hear about your problems with your card.<br>

It is possible to recover a fully formatted card. It takes longer and uses a different piece of software to get the job done. The programes you have tried so far are not really designed for the task.<br>

Let me know if you would like me to have a look at your card. We are a professional data recovery company but very much for photographers.<br>

If you send in your card, make sure you mention this site and I will make sure you get a good rate.<br>

Thanks<br>

Oliver<br>

oliver@picback.com<br>

www.picback.com</p>

• 10 months later...