Canon kit lens replacement

chris_collins8

<p>Hey everyone. I appreciate your help in advance. I currently have a Canon XTI. I have two lenses, the 18-55 kit lens and the 70-200 f4L. Unfortunately the kit lens autofocus recently broke. I have been researching lens replacement and figured I would ask what everyone thought.<br>

The 18-55 served as my landscape lens, as well as my "indoor" (family parties ect.) lens. I would like to stay under $1,000 for the new lens.<br>

Your thoughts are appreciated.</p>

<p>Thank you,<br>

Chris</p>

<p>A good deal in that focal length range is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC. Reviews show the non-VC to be sharper, and VC (IS) is not very important at that focal length. It is a very sharp lens, and it has the advantage of a larger, constant aperture. If you don't mind a slow lens, want more range, and don't mind spending a lot more, the EF-S 15-85 is a really excellent lens. (It's my outdoor walk-around and primary landscape lens.)</p>

<p>If you were happy with the focal length, the obvious answer is the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS.</p>

<p>B&H currently has it for $1050 (due to an instant rebate that's in effect), slightly but not much over your budget. By all repute it's an extremely high quality lens, and the constant f2.8 aperture is nice. Since you've sprung for the 70-200/4 L obviously you're interested in image quality ...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Some good choices mentioned here. Do you need speed or do you need a wider and longer range?</p>

<p>The 18-55mm IS is a bargain.</p>

<p>The 17-55mm f/2.8s are fast and super sharp.</p>

<p>The 15-85mm has a wonderful range. It is the choice I made and I am very happy with it.</p>

<p>I'll throw in a comment about 3rd party alternatives. There's the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4, which I use. It's a good focal length, it's actually pretty fast, and it has Sigma's equivalent of IS. It's not the equal of the Canon 17-55 but I feel that optically it's competitive with the 15-85. It's certainly cheaper than that lens.</p>

<p>(Sigma have just announced a replacement, and I don't know what the new version is like or when it will be available. But there should be 'current version' lenses around.)</p>

<p>+1 for the 17-55 f2.8 IS...this lens is the only reason i still have crop body,i find the image stabilising very use full and it was sharper than the 24-105 f4L IS i had.<br>

however now tamron has the 24-70 f2.8 VC a full frame standard zoom lens with image stabilisation the 17-55 and my 2 crop bodys will be traded for another FF<br>

To recap ..the 17-55F2.8IS is the sharpest standard zoom lens for a canon crop body on the planet</p>

<p>I'd personally go for the EF-S 15-85mm IS which is the newer and improved version of the older EF-S 17-85mm IS lens which I have used since I first went to Canon EOS in 2004-5.<br>

The older one's warts were fixed in the newer one, and there is no lens made for the APS-C cameras that is simply so handy and useful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you were happy with the focal length, the obvious answer is the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Another vote for this excellent lens!</p>

<p>MSRP is $1,179, but with Canon's current $120 coupon, B&H & Adorama have it for $1,059. </p>

<p>And if you don't mind buying Refurbished, Canon's online store (US) often has it for $943.20...</p>

<p>Canon refurb's one way to get under the OP's $1K limit, I've bought refurb with no regrets. Unfortunately the store's out of them, at least as of last Saturday, the last day of their 20% off sale.</p>

<p>KEH is another possibility, i.e. a used copy, and Adorama sells Canon refurb, so the OP has lots of options!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon refurb's one way to get under the OP's $1K limit, I've bought refurb with no regrets. Unfortunately the store's out of them, at least as of last Saturday, the last day of their 20% off sale.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's how I got my 100-400 and 17-55 last year. Just need to keep an eye out, and check back a couple times a week, and definitely on Mondays.</p>

<p>I left a "contact me" email for the 580EXII during the sale ($319!), and eventually did get notified, but quicker than that flash can fire, they were out of them again.</p>