Thinking about dropping EOS A2E setup for G3. Here's the ?

tom_pearman

I have a A2E, 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 MarkI, 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 II, 70-200mm

f/4 L, and 420 EX flash.

I don't have two grand to drop on a D60. Thinking about selling

everything but 420 ex and getting G3 with the wide angle and tele

adapters. Seems like I would get a small package, digital and about

the same lens reach on both ends. Any thoughts.......

Thanks

Tom

What kind of stuff do you shoot? I shoot a lot of high action sports stuff and the G3 just wouldn't cut it for me. For me, it would be too much to sacrifice for a little convenience. I am throwing money in the bank for the next generation of digital SLR or until the price comes down on the 1Ds.

I know, I make the same arguments myself. I like the speed of my EOS, etc. I love my gear but sometimes hauling it around gets old. I have a cheap point and shoot 35mm but never like the results. My thought was the G3 would give me quality pictures and save the hauling of gear. I would lose some speed (but I don't shoot alot of sports). Oh well, Maybe a cheap point and shoot digital for now and wait a while for a DSLR.

Although I've found the quality of the Canon G-series digitals to be quite good (sharp, satisfying colours, etc.), the ergonomics of any point-and-shoot (digital or not) simply cannot match that of a good SLR body (again, digital or not). You will also lose your investment in Canon glass. Although excellent in its class, the G3's optics cannot compare to your 50mm or the 70-200L.

When I went from a Fuji MX-700 digital point-and-shoot to an Olympus E-10 (and subsequently to a D60), I tried to convince myself that I would keep the Fuji around as my "go anywhere" pocket camera. I tried to believe that the convenience would make up for any shortcomings of the Fuji compared to the Olympus. Didn't happen. I ended up giving the Fuji to my brother within two months, because I never touched it again.

Do what my brother did... he kept his Rebel-G as a low-end film SLR even though he had the Fuji for digital snapshots. Or else save up for a used D30 (to get you into the game, at least) or a D60 once prices have dropped if those rumoured new digital EOS's materialize next year.

Tom,

I have the G2 and an Elan IIe. The G2 can in no way replace the EOS camera.

The AF is slower, no interchangeable lenses and smaller focal range, and

while the picture quality is good, film is easily better. Perhaps you could put

together a smaller kit for when you don't want to haul around all of that. For

example, I often like to head out with a body and a 50mm. A Pentax ME Super

and 50mm are nice, small, and discrete. Perhaps you could add a Rebel

2000 to with your 24 or 50mm. Or maybe build a Contax G kit, really nice and

small with great results. I think you would regret exchanging all that great film

gear for a digital point and shoot.

A G2 or G3 with 4 mp is great for the occaisional serious shot, but for the most part its a perfect snapshot and quick grab camera. Shutter lag and focusing are slower than your SLR, although image quality can be superb (albeit in smaller files) with the G3, you'd lose a lot of flexibility going to solely a G3. If you really have a 420EX flash with your A2e it will certainly work with the G cameras, and it will also work with a D60. My suggestion would be that if you cannot afford to replace your current camera with an SLR to keep the flexibility, don't replace your camera at all for the time being.

Man and I was fretting over selling my entire FD system to buy the Elan7 and have some extra Christmas dough and living money until next term started. I feel real good now. If I were you I'd save up for a D60, and if you get close but not quite close enough, sell your A2 to make up the difference. But my god man keep tha twonderful glass!

I've got a G1, Elan, Elan 7E, A2 and EOS 3. The G1 is a cool point 'n shoot toy--kind of a replacement for my Polaroid--but is lightyears from replacing the quality, performance and functions of my EOS gear. Unless you're a point 'n shoot guy, I'd keep the A2 and buy a G3, S30 or S40 to supplement your EOS gear. It's a nice combo.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I faced the same issue as you are. I bought the G3, but as an addition to my A2E and lenses. The G3 is a wonderful camera, and I'm having a blast with it. But as the other posters have pointed out, it won't do what the A2E will do. Focus and shutter lag. I use my G3 for still-life stuff (which I shoot a lot of)like old barns and flowers. I like the ability of the G3 to get down to same level as the flowers - or even below them. As for image quality, I'm getting great 8x10 un resampled prints and great 11x14 resampled prints that I think are stunning. No, I'm not getting rid of my A2E for the G3, but I'm using the G3 for most of my still shooting now.

Thanks for all the responses, esp. those who have a digital point and shoot as well as a 35mm set. I think I will keep my gear and wait and save for a DSLR in the future. In the mean time maybe a decent P&S digital for easy carry around when a P&S is all I need. Any suggestions? Maybe s230?

Like the others say, keep a2e and get the g3. I did two weeks ago and love the pictures from the g3 BUT my 28-135IS takes better pictures overall. I really hate the shutter lag on digital cameras because the image I see isn't always the image I capture. I really love digital cameras because they encourage you to take more pictures. Once you've paid for the equipment, the "film" is FREE.

I'm suprised no one has brough this up yet. I have a G2 and a complete eos system. The plusses are the g2 is fun camera and is great for email and delete stuff like get togethers. It works with my 550ex. I also use it as a polaroid -mostly test sessions- in the studio.

Besides what has been brough up, you must remember that the g2/g3 have only a 7-2xmm lens. Forget about equivelant focal lengths because it's a different format alltoghether. To first order, regardless of format, lenses with this focal length have virtually infinite depth of focus. Quite frankly, this sucks! When I take pictures of sports, or even at a get together, I like a point of focus in my pictures. Even when I'm doing stills I like this. These digi P&S can't deliver. Unless of course you're VERY close to the subject. With people this makes them uncomfortable. In other words, the g2 has a lot of slr like features. However, except for with studio strobes, I end up in "P" mode all the time. I haven't noticed a significant difference between this mode and tv, av, m, etc.

Here's another point. Why do digi P&S shooters think it's so good to be so close? I have a 100mm 1:1 macro lens and I wish I had a 180 so I can get further away! The only plus here is you don't have to lay on the ground and with that infinite dof you don't need to worry what the thing is really focusing on.

Why not get a D30?

Second hand, they're floating around at around $1000 now, and although "only" 3MP (compared to 4MP of the G3), it has the benefit of the large CMOS sensor, giving very low noise and high sensitivity, so you could easily scale up to achieve as good or better results than the G3.