DUST, ANYONE? Questions about the D600.

Landrum Kelly

<blockquote>

<p>Shiang, I was using the Delkin sensor wipes, but they just smeared the oil. Bought the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse and the sensor was cleaned after two wipes. I don't know what product you are using, but for the oil I would highly recommend a disposable wipe like the Sensor Swab.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>LG, I looked up "Sensor Swabs" on Amazon but found more than one type. Do you have any idea which type would be most appropriate for the D600 or D800?</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I noticed one big spot on my images after a week of shooting my D600. Then I saw the Lensrentals blog post about the d600 sensor dust, then watched their youtube video about sensor cleaning process, and ordered a loupe, bulb, lens pen kit, as well as a dust-aid platinum (around $80 all-in.) I figured I should have it in my kit anyway. Using the loupe I saw quite a lot of dust on the left side of my sensor- maybe 8-10 spots. Most of them blew off eventually, then I lens-penned the last few off (very lightly) then stamped the sensor w/ the dust-aid tool. Now it's clean. It was not oil. Lensrentals suggested that perhaps it was dust in the body that would eventually work its way out or settle down- I hope that's the case. Now that I have a good cleaning kit I guess I'll just check the sensor before shooting anything critical. Unless it gets worse I can't see myself sending it in for some as-yet-unknown and acknowledged "repair." I am in all other ways impressed w/ the camera. </p>

<p>That's very encouraging, Adam. After all the problems I have had the past year, the idea of laying out $3k for a camera that is just going to cause troubles was not something that I could face. Dust I can deal with. Oil would be a lot more of a problem.</p>

<p>I do appreciate the air or encouragement and helpfulness on the site.</p>

<p>---Lannie</p>

L G, Sensor Swab and Eclipse is what I used. It took me about 4-5 wipes to get it clean. It is my first DSLR, i might be

too gentle, didn't really do anything in the first two wipes. It was a nerve racking experience, I hope I don't need to do it

too often, but I also shoot primes most of the time, so what can you do?

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Well guess I'm lucky. I bought my D600 on the 1st day, and I've been using it with not too much dirt or spots on my images, and, I switch lenses a lot. I shot some 1000 images, and I did clean the sensor using a Sensorklear pen, but it has shown a lot less dirt than my former D7000 with the same usage. For me it's quite acceptable, until now.</p>