How mobile do you need to be?

jamesgysen

<p>Saw this light mod <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2012/09/bounce-wall-geniusinsanity-line-goes.html">Strobist</a> this AM where he ponders that event/wedding photographers may be attracted to it for mobility reasons. I could see the draw in a large hall with high roofs but I can't get over the idea that you could wright a name on it and look like someone standing at the airport for a p/u. Anyone willing to give it a shot?</p>

<p>Have a great day, James.</p>

<p>Sure. Not a lot different from my homemade foamy bounce cards, except for the arm. I would have no trouble with the arm, being used to brackets, but the Strobist guy is right--you're either going to love it or hate it.</p>

<p>You'd also have possible difficulty getting around on a really crowded dance floor, but personally, I don't nix a product until I've either tried it personally or observed if and read user reports for a while.</p>

<p>Green--you have to get really close to the subject with this gadget to get softer light, but it would still be 'useful' at other than 'really close', just like an 8" foamy card is useful at other than 'really close'. It is all relative. Is an 8" card nicer in light quality than the bare head? Is an 18" card nicer than the 8" foamy?</p>

<p>I have to say that outside in bright sunlight, this gadget will not help you. In shade and otherwise, it might. Up to you whether the effort is worth it.</p>

<p>Interesting concept, when I'm shooting a wedding, there is almost always a white shirt (or dress) or a wall nearby that I can bounce from, or a white ceiling. I also use off camera flashes at almost every reception, so if I do use a bounce card on my flash, it balances with the other flashes and doesn't look too harsh. This contraption seems like it would look a bit silly, but not really any more so than a Fong Dong. And like Nadine, I won't completely discount it without trying it first. Being from California SunBounce, I highly doubt it will be cheap, so odds are I won't buy one.</p>

<p>How many shots will a photographer miss fiddling with this gadget? The size of the reflector surface is not large enough to provide a soft light and much of the light is going to go to the ceiling anyway. If I don't have time to attach my 2x4" white card to the back of my Vivitar 283 flash' I tilt the flash and use the palm of my hand as a reflector. Keeping it simple gets the job done almost every time.</p><div>00anUZ-495417584.jpg.e69b808f76528f3491a5dae490735498.jpg</div>