Print Competitions

<p>Hi Melissa--I've wondered how you are. Hope you are doing well.</p>

<p>While we don't have critique forums specifically as a channel for WPPI or PPA competitions, we always have the Wedding Photo of the Week thread. It was initially meant to be a critique on a single image, but as you might have noticed, there was less and less critique.</p>

<p>In fact, I would welcome any ideas for reinvigorating the Wedding Photo of the Week thread. People seem to have less and less time for communication these days...</p>

<p>Are you a member of your local chapter of PPA? I know a PPA member who was a judge once and he has given me a critique without entering the print in a competition. And you can enter your images a local/regional PPA competitions before deciding to pay the big bucks and enter the image to PPA. I have found PPA to be the best source for constructive criticism. WPPI is more for entering an image so that you can call yourself "award-winning"! PPA has the 12-Elements of a Merit image you can download for yourself and always self-critique. But honestly, if you can find a local mentor, that is far more invaluable than the critique's of the masses. I brought an image to a local photography club meeting once and the critiques were literally all over the place: too much DoF, not enough DoF, great composition, not-so-great composition. Everyone had an opinion... but there weren't any established guidelines. Now the drawback to a PPA critique is that it isn't a hand-holding affair. The judges aren't there to make you feel good about yourself and tell you to keep you chin up! It's about the image submitted for critique.</p>

<p>I remember a time or two that someone posted an image and specifically asked for that type of critique. Problem is that many posters fail to appreciate that type of critique and will defend problems with their images based on "artistic license". I can pretty much guarantee that blown highlites are rarely acceptable in print competitions. I also rarely participate in critiques here on the forum any longer because honest critiques are rarely appreciated.</p>

<p>Are you watching the Olympics? Has any athlete got to the point of being selected to the Olympics without a Coach? Any medal winners without a Coach?</p>

<p>My recommendation, find a seasoned successful photographer whose photographs/philosophy/personality fit yours and is willing to serve as your Coach and mentor. Once you have that person, stick with s(he) through thick and thin, work with that person who is willing to help your photography journey.</p>

<p>Once you find a person who is willing to serve as your Coach and mentor, then discuss when to enter your work into print competitions. And then use the experience to help you improve, only with your Coaches suggestions.</p>

<p>In my mind, entering print competitions without a Coach is like performing in sports without a Coach. Don't find very many doing that.</p>

<p>My Coach, friend and mentor was Monte Zucker. Cancer took him from us in 2007. Check out his work and read what he had to say.</p>

<p>Best to Your Success.</p>

<p>I have to agree with you David, very few people appreciate honest critique. I personally think it is very important and have found the pnet family to be the most honest and open about critique. I know that tthe majority of things I have learned as a photographer is through critique, honest critique, not, "Wow! Great job." but true suggestions of what makes an image work or not work.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I identify with David Schilling and wish more people were into receiving critiques in an appreciative manner. PPA has the 12-Elements of a Merit image that any visual communicator should know. In addition, there are other images out there that go beyond the technical, compositional, impact etc. into the realm of the sublime---images that defy the rule box. Sometimes it is the poets who weigh in with the most insightful comments. I feel at home with the PPA guidelines and all my critiques come from that background---but I feel excited and challenged by images that work outside the rule box and that expand my ability to think, feel, and see. Bad technique cannot mask as art---and my critiques will respectfully point that out every time---even if only a few photographers respond that they learned something from my posts. It is the few who do that keep me at it.</p>