FD Lens to Micro Four Thirds Adapter

robert_segal3

I just picked up a Rainbow Imaging adapter and am trying to use my 1.2L 50mm FD Lens with it. When ai turn the aperture Di g on the

lens the viewfinder gets brighter and darker but the aperture reading in the viewfinder says 0.0. Should it specify the aperture I am using

via the lens setting? Thanks.

Robert

<p>The adapter is basically there to allow you to use your lens with the camera but there is no connection electronically with the camera. In your EXIF you'll be able to see the the shutter speed used but that's about it. No aperture or focal length.</p>

<p>Thanks. I should have figured that, but wanted to make sure. So it is all a guessing game with exposure, shutter speed, etc.?<br>

<br />To gain as much control as possible, would you recommend shooting on shutter priority so one at least knows how that is set?<br>

<br />Thanks.<br>

<br />Robert</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Your options are shooting in manual or aperture priority. With the latter, you set the aperture value and the camera will select the shutter speed for correct exposure. </p>

<p>Since the body has no way of communicating with the lens or, therefore, of setting the aperture, shutter priority is not an option.</p>

<p>While I am not using an FD lens, the basic adapters are the same for c-mount, Nikon, etc., to m 4/3. You can typically select Manual or Aperture priority with the adapters. It's not a guessing game, because you pretty much see through the LCD what the sensor sees. Aperture Priority works very well, and my latest fun has been using a Kern Switar 75mm f:1.9 c-mount lens (from a 16mm camera) on my Olympus EPL-1. </p>

<p>Yes all m4/3 cameras from Panasonic and Olympus use the same mount so lenses are interchangeable. However Olympus has their image stabilization in the camera body while Panasonic does it through the lenses. So for old manual focus lenses, especially the long telephoto lenses, Olympus might be better.</p>

• 2 months later...