e_m1

Can a lens made for an 8x10 camera be used on a 4x5 to increase

coverage area on ground glass? For example, would an 8x10 150mm be

equivalent to a 4x5 300mm with more coverage area? I just use small

movements on the 4x5 but occasionally I like get a little extreme and

have noticed some vignetting.

Thanks for any help,

Enrique

No. A 150mm lens will always be a 150mm lens independent of the fomat that it is being used for. That is its focal length and that is fixed. The operative parameter is what the lens will cover and that is based upon its design. There are 150mm lenses that will cover 8x10 with ease and others that will bearly cover 4x5. Look at the circle of illumination from the manufacturer as clearly any lens can be mounted on any lensboard for any format.

Yes, you can use a lens that's suited for 8x10 on a 4x5. Typically

the coverage is much greater than a lens that's meant to cover

only 4x5. The trade-offs can come in weight and size. Lots of

8x10 lenses use Copal 3 shutters and are very heavy. Still there

are lenses that cover 8x10 that are extremely compact and light

like the fine Nikkor M 300mm f/9.

As far as "an 8x10 150mm vs. a 4x5 300mm with more

coverage"... a 150mm lens is still a 150mm lens on any format.

On an 8x10 a 150mm lens would be a very wide angle (the

equivalent of a 21mm in 35 format). The same lens on a 4x5

would be close to a normal lens (43mm on a 35). A 300mm

lens on a 4x5 is a telephoto (85mm on a 35) where on an 8x10 it

would be closer to normal (43mm on a 35). Any lens made with

an image circle to cover 8x10 can be used on a 4x5 if you have

enough bellows draw. It's just up to you whether you want to

deal with the weight (if applicable).

em, If your current lens resides in a Copal #1 you can get an old 240 G-Claron barrel lens for around $90 and swap the cells and see for yourself how it works. 240 is a moderate wide lens in 8x10 but is considered long for a 4x5(probably nearing the limits of the bellows on most 4x5s) and should offer loads of usable image circle for you. If you like it, get ahold of a correct f/stop scale and you're in business. Cheers!

I ran into the problem (probably a mixture of inadequate tripod + light-weight Bender camera) with my 4x5 + 12" Wollensak Raptar in a self-cocking shutter; the amount of force needed to get the shutter moving caused a small amount of vibration when the camera was racked out far enough to focus at 20' or less.

I suppose I could have Mr. Grimes reset it into a modern Copal 3, but that would be a pity after having had him clean and repair the shutter. The alternative would be to build an oak flatbed and use a surveyor's tripod.

As others have said, a 150mm is a 150mm, period. However, if you were suggesting that the longer focal length would have a different effect with 4x5, you are quite right. For example, on my 4x5, I use 90mm, 150mm, and 210mm lenses. I also have a 6x7 back. The 90mm, which is a modest wide angle (angle of view) on 4x5 becomes a "normal" lens with the medium format back. The 150mm, which is roughly "normal" for a 4x5, becomes a slightly longer than normal with the medium format back, closer to a modest portrait lens. Also, as you suggest, they have more coverage for that format.

Don Wallace

When you use a lens that covers 8x10 for a piece of 4x5 film you are using what is most likely the very best part of the lens. Nearly all lenses perform better in the center than at the edges. You will not run out of coverage, either.

Still consider the weight, size and cost. In the studio, when I shoot 4x5 I frequently use the 8x10 camera with a 4x5 back - big sturdy rig it is. Then I have all the bellows I want and all the movements you can imagine. But if I leave the studio those 8x10 lenses are just too big to lug around for a 4x5 shot.

<a href="http://www.lerman.net/images/ebay/tele-xenar-01.jpg">Here's a 4x5 shot I did on my 8x10 with a 360mm Caltar II-S.</a>