Looking for 2nd shooter experience - South West- UK

zac_gibson

<table id="post98626" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" align="center">

<tbody>

<tr valign="top">

<td id="td_post_98626" >

Hi,<br /><br />I have just finished my photography degree and am looking for some experience as a second shooter as don't want to jump straight in with no experience. I live in Exeter and happy to travel throughout the south west (or further if required). <br /><br />I have been running my own business for the last 3 months taking photos for surf schools (www.surfschoolphotos.com) and have been working on and off as a freelance surf photographer for the past two years, so have a fair bit of experience in photography but looking for more wedding experience. <br /><br />If there is anyone who could help that would be very much appreciated. You can email me<br>

Many Thanks<br /><br />Zac

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p><strong>Moderator Note:</strong> Zac--posting one's e-mail address in forum posts is against guidelines. People can e-mail you by simply clicking on your name, where there is a utility to e-mail you directly through photo.net. You should post your website link on your homepage as well.</p>

<p>If you don't have sound social photography experience then I doubt you'll get taken on as a second shooter for weddings. A wedding second shooter usually has a solid skillset and a style comparable to the lead pro. There is also massive competition for the few assisting outings that do exist. The most usual route, here in the UK, is to get some good industry training under your belt then shoot for friends/family etc for free. Build your portfolio from there. Understanding the business side is equally important. Good wedding trainers include Gerry Ghionis, Gordon McGowan, Damien Lovegrove, Jeff Ascough, Stuart Bebb and many more. If you're serious about weddings then joining an organization like the SWPP/BPPA can reap huge dividends (if you have the right attitude). Their convention is in January each year in London - it's quite an event, with all the top pros from around the globe sharing their knowledge via seminars and master classes. </p>

<p>Your best bet is hoping you can assist someone to start with, not second. Most the photographers I know use only full-time professionals with years of experience and solid skill sets, not just anyone willing to offer a hand. Hiring a second, you are looking for someone to act on behalf of your business, deliver the goods under pressure, and work along side your own approach - so there is a element of trust, to say the least.</p>

<p>Advertise as a "lighting assistant" (or similar), approach it with the right attitude, and you'll start to network with the right people, who you will eventually be able to second for if all goes well.</p>

<p>It is a long journey to get to the point of running your own, successful business. You might not ever get there. But if you're determined, regularly assess, and be persistent you might get somewhere.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>